Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Re: Gail's garter - the snake kind silly.

Thanks Steve. I hate that I went over my limit, but I was told by some keepers of the garters that 4 of them in a 40 gal breeder tank will be fine. I'll put up 3 hammocks, just so they can all find a place to get away. And ya just never know. One of those 100 gallon tanks I see on craigslist might just end up in my living room.
    Mona (T.S. sirtalis) Melanistic
    Fiona (T.S similis) Normal

They do make Cleo look big They're both so pretty! Congratulations on your new additions
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

I'm guessing I shouldn't worry to much, but I do. This little one isn't eating good. She ate a few bites of worms on Monday, and when I offered food today she grabbed it, had it in her mouth, then spit it out. I tried for 30 min to get her to eat, but just turned her face away. After she crawled around in the chopped up worm/pinkie dish I gave her a warm bath to clean her off. She did poop so she's not plugged, one thing I don't have to worry about. Just how long can a baby go without food. She is 1 week old today. She also is not flighty like Mona is. She is very calm and seems relaxed when in hand. I just hope this is a sign of trust and sweetness, not illness. At this point I don't want to get attached, just in case, but it's hard. She's like a mini-Zena.
    8-15-12.jpg8-15-12a.jpg

Just remember that they have evolved the ability to go without food for a long time.You should only worry if she's off food for weeks.Maybe she spat the worm out because the bits where to big.
    Will

Wm, I cut the pieces 1/2 the size of the head. So far it seems like a good rule for the other 3, but I'll watch more closely on that. Thanks.

It could just be that she didnt like the taste, maybe she wanted a different kind of food.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

The same thing happens with 1 of my babies, she grabs a live/dead guppy in her mouth and then drops it. I came to the conclusion that she does not like being fed in a different enclosure such as a feeding tank. So i have been leaving live guppies in a water dish in her enclosure over night and when I check in the morning they're all gone. I'm guessing the babies in this situation get overly stressed when taken out of their enclosures, also keep in mind that your baby is new and still adjusting to its new home =]

So...someone else has gone over her personal limit...hmmmm? Lol... I love the hammock in the enclosure. Cee Cee also comes out of her tank for feeding...must be an eastern thing.... Cleo looks good and I like the new additions.

What is a black mamba?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    What is a black mamba?
    You've never heard of the black mamba? Black mamba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    mike

When I got her home on Sunday she ate a few bites of salmon/worm mix, then one bit of worm on Mon. I tried worm/pinky last night and then again this morning (same location as Sun & Mon) since she didn eat last night. I guess I don't need to worry, but because she is so young and small I DO worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Snake View Post
    The same thing happens with 1 of my babies, she grabs a live/dead guppy in her mouth and then drops it. I came to the conclusion that she does not like being fed in a different enclosure such as a feeding tank. So i have been leaving live guppies in a water dish in her enclosure over night and when I check in the morning they're all gone. I'm guessing the babies in this situation get overly stressed when taken out of their enclosures, also keep in mind that your baby is new and still adjusting to its new home =]