Page 15 of 469 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Re: The Nature Photography Thread

That pond (a crack in a cliff less than 2 meters from the sea) is about half a square meter in size and traingular in shape. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Edit: Nope. No picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Good luck taking a close-up of a Vipera, when you really have to get well within striking distance to do it.
    One time I made a perspex screen, about 18 inches square, that fitted over the lens of the camera, so that I could get closer in relative safety, but it was a bit too awkward to use. Any ideas?
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    That pond (a crack in a cliff less than 2 meters from the sea) is about half a square meter in size and traingular in shape. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.
    Right! I thought it was man-made! Looking forward to that Pic Stefan.
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    One time I made a perspex screen, about 18 inches square, that fitted over the lens of the camera, so that I could get closer in relative safety, but it was a bit too awkward to use. Any ideas?
    No ideas. I still rely on the old "wisdom" that the adder can only strike from a distance of about 1/3 of its own length. Didn't stop me from trying to take a picture (a blueberry shrub got in the way) of a 50cm snake from 10cm away. Tried to get a profile shot of the head through a small hole in the vegetation, but I misjudged the angle.

Haha! The things we do! Have you seen my Puff Adder picture? That was taken from about six inches away, and he was in a lousy mood! At one time I had a collection of great pictures (pre digital), but they've all been lost or given away over the years.
    James.

I think I've seen it, I'm not sure though.

But yeah, I definitely wouldn't play around with anything called Bitis. Even the name ("bite-is", yes I know that's not how you're supposed to pronounce it but many do) says you shouldn't.

So true! I think with the dawn of the digital camera, pictures such as my Puff Adder are easy to reproduce from a safe distance, but at the time there was no other way! I'm still proud of it though!!

If I ever get it back from whoever I gave it to, I have a great picture of a White Lipped Pit Viper (Trimeresurus albolabris), best picture I ever took. If I get it back I'll post it. Mega portrait!!
    James.

Here are my last pics until I can dig up some more.

Clethrionomys glareolus. The reason why adders thrive in the area around our summer cottage.

Arvicola terrestris, I think. Found dead in my parents' back yard, most likely killed by a cat, judging by the bite marks you can't see in this picture. I've avoided carcasses (I have a few most people can't watch), but think this one is pretty harmless.

And who can tell me what causes this phenomenon? The colors haven't been altered, that's how that pond (or whatever the correct term would be) looks every spring.

ps. I already know the answer.

I would guess at iron ore in the soil. Or vampires! Love the first mouse picture (how did you get that?), you've lost me on the latin name though...I don't do rodents!
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    I would guess at iron ore in the soil. Or vampires! Love the first mouse picture (how did you get that?), you've lost me on the latin name though...I don't do rodents!
    Iron ore is correct. The rock in the area contains a lot of iron (causes some interesting magnetic anomalies) and water from melting snow runs through it and ends up in the pond where the iron sinks to the bottom and forms a bright red layer. Only happens in the spring.

Clethrionomys glareolus, bank vole in English I think. Those are easy to photograph, as long as you don't move. You see one, you scare it and it will run to the nearest hole, you move up close and then just sit still and wait a minute or so and it will pop out again. There really are a lot of them in the area.