Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Re: Neighbors think your nuts?

While we are on the subject of equestrians, One of the absolute hardest ever moments was when our pony "Pepper" developed laminitis after 35 years in our family. He was a gift when I was 6 years old

Our farrier did all he could, but peppers ankle bones were dropping to the point where the only option was to have our farm vet come out and do a lethal injection.

Pepper is buried out by the barn...

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

yeah... outside..... used to do it with all of them.... bad day when both sooty and willow almost got lost..... willow burrowed under the grass and he usually sticks his head up and is east to find..... when no head came up for a few mins i started to look around for him then i started to frantically rip up chunls of grass...... then i got the idea to spray water on the grass till he came up finally it worked.... scare of my life...... put him back in a travel cage watched the others.... it was when i had mama with me out there too.... 4 snakes was just too many to watch at once.... meadow just wandered in circles and followed me and mama started to get a little to far away so i went to go get her and came back and sooty was nowhere to be found....... immediatly went tot the hose.... after about 5 mins when it didn't work i started to frantically pull up the grass again..... found her happily burrowed in the dirt with a worm sticking out of her mouth. lets just say it was the end of they're play time.
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    While we are on the subject of equestrians, One of the absolute hardest ever moments was when our pony "Pepper" developed laminitis after 35 years in our family. He was a gift when I was 6 years old

Our farrier did all he could, but peppers ankle bones were dropping to the point where the only option was to have our farm vet come out and do a lethal injection.

Pepper is buried out by the barn...
    Oh, man, Wayne, what a loss.

One of our clients just had to euth her 40 year old pony who had been with her since the pony was weaned... I can't imagine loosing such a long term, life long companion. We have a 45 year old pony in the rescue, he lives with one of my foster homes; we've had him for about 3 years now. (When all the kids moved out, and the grandkids, he was left out in the back field to starve because no-one in the family wanted him... 40 some years and they just left him to starve... people slay me.) Anyway, little Leonard totally RULES all of his foster mom's horses--- and just a couple of months ago he jumped a 4 ft fence to get to a young mare in heat!!!!!! We call him the Never Ending Pony...
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

One time a mare in heat from up the road came here and jumped his fence.

Dude was like 35-37 and well I won't be rude about it

I asked the owner of the mare if she wound up with foal out of this, I'd adopt or buy it.

Nothing, it didn't "take"

LOL, well, Leonard is a gelding, he just thinks he's a big old stud. So, as a matter of fact, does this horrid little miniature I have here... 250 lbs of lean, mean, lovin' machine, or so he thinks. He drives me nuts. Bites, kicks, fights with the big horses... evil little thing!!! LOL
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

"Preparing For First shed"

Nothing like a good compost pit to help with the environment, eh?

Tough for a politician to raise a stink with the town about the environment these days.

Nothing saying you cant put the compost pit immediately adjacent to your fence on their side. I've heard that nothing says hello faster than the smell of composting grass on a hot summer day...

Half a dozen head of swine with a mud pit, 30 feet from her front porch