Page 1384 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 384884128413341374138213831384138513861394 ... LastLast
Results 13,831 to 13,840 of 14098
    Banned

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

12 years ago today. I watched the south tower collapse on live T.V. A day I'll never forget...

12 years ago I was up late discussing this with a couple of friends, while watching nonstop replays of the events. The consensus was that someone had just signed his own death warrant.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I have never read a novel in my life. I've tried, I just usually can't follow them but I guess I'm going to now. My main problem is with names. It takes me about 10 episodes even on TV before the characters names even begin to stick. You can see how that would be a problem when reading a novel. I can't usually figure out who's who especially if I don't read it for about a week. I don't usually read anything but non-fiction, scientific American, popular science, biology books, etc. If I can't finish reading a story from beginning to end in one sitting I don't read it.

However, the subject matter of these two books might just be enough to keep me interested so I'll give it a shot.
    Animal Farm is an easy read. It didn't take me much more than an afternoon or an evening to read last time. I seem to remember 1984 being a bit more of a read.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    12 years ago today. I watched the south tower collapse on live T.V. A day I'll never forget...
    I was working in central London, went to the pub for lunch and was stood at the bar ordering a beer and food as the second plane hit. It was on every screen in the pub. I was working in the web team at the time and spent the afternoon posting internal news updates on our intranet because the Internet was grinding to a standstill, we had BBC News on in the press office. News websites struggled to cope with demand.
    Visited the site a couple of years ago on honeymoon in NYC, the temporary memorial was quite overwhelming.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    The consensus was that someone had just signed his own death warrant.
    I watched in horror as the news video showed the second plane crashing into the 2nd tower live. As I spoke to my husband on the phone at the second plane, we were all quickly realizing that this was not an accident. At that point, you could say that not "someone" but some Country or terrorist representatives of such, had just, in essence, declared war upon the United States. Then, we heard about the pentagon and the plane in PA. We all watched the towers fall live from a TV we set up in our lunchroom at the Bank I worked in at the time. Truly a horrific moment in time, leaving much doubt as to safety as we were only 1 hour from this calamity.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Banned

I had just arrived at work for the U.S. Dept. of Veteran's affairs. First one there, turned on breakroom T.V. to a live broadcast and just about had a heart attack. 1 min later south tower fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    The consensus was that someone had just signed his own death warrant.
    And that, they did. Not only Bin Laden but also the Taliban regime in Afghanistan by refusing to turn him over. Honestly i don't think they even knew where he was. Either way, they needed their butts kicked anyway.

Banned

Shattered a weather record today. 100 degrees F (37.8 C) at my house right now. Should warm up another degree or two by 6pm. Monday, rain and 66 F.

Supposed to stay in the 80's until after midnight tonight. wow.

Sounds like typical Iowa temps.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

It's hot here too. 92 degrees, 100 degree heat index. uuuggghhhh....
    I couldn't wait to get home, cause my clothing was stuck to me, soaking wet. All of it. I looked like I had been in a sprinkler and all I did was drive the school bus for 2 hours.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Sounds like typical Iowa temps.
    Ultimately we got up to 101 F and 95 F the next day. Average is upper 70's. Cool and drizzly today.