Page 1317 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 3178171217126713071315131613171318131913271367 ... LastLast
Results 13,161 to 13,170 of 14098
    Banned

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Learning UNIX, having a ball too.
    Just now? A bit late to the party huh?

will probably abandon windows
    I don't know a single person (including myself) that didn't say the same thing when first getting into UNIX. I also don't know a single one of us that actually did abandon windows. We would all like to say we did, but it never seems to quite be a reality. Maybe some of us have a dual boot system here and there or machine around running UNIX only, but actually abandoning windows is easier said than done in the long term. There always seems to be something that gets in the way. Something I need or want to do where UNIX just won't cut it. Been saying what you you just said for over a decade but...

There will probably always be something running windows in the house. Now, if I had the time and skill to replace many programs I use with ones written by myself, for UNIX, then yeah. Then maybe, just maybe. Bottom line is, it's only "better" "IF"...(you are... insert any number of reasons here) and there always seems to be an "if" which isn't so.

Now if I had a team of people working on software for every thing I do under windows, that could give me fully functioning software 5 minutes after the need for it comes up, then that would work. Until then, I'm always going to have a windows partition even on my UNIX machines.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's always something coming up that requires me to boot from a windows (FAT32 or NTFS) or even DOS partition. I'll never get rid of it completely even though I would like to.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Just now? A bit late to the party huh? .
    It's been forever since I really used anything but windows.

Got in a jam, have a laptop that the kid got a virus that screwed up his SAM file, I had no choice but to open his hard drive under UNIX to get his files out.

But you are right Richard, all my software, Like Roxio DVD creator, macromedia, etc... won't load under Knoppix (GUI based UNIX OS)

But wow, the things I can do work so much better, and browsing the web with zero fear of malware, virus attacks and bogus lockdowns (Like the recent FBI virus) is awesome.

Wow, I just got an infraction on the computer forum for discussing SAM file access.

Richard, you seem to be in the know, any computer forums out there that won't kick me off for discussing things like that?

Seems like most of them go nuts at the mention of torrents, password recovery, etc...

Thankfully, a member there gave me links to the Unix/Linux forum before I decided that it was not the place for me.

I abandoned windows, I have a Macbook Air, I am posting from it right now!
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Banned

Wow, I just got an infraction on the computer forum for discussing SAM file access.

Richard, you seem to be in the know, any computer forums out there that won't kick me off for discussing things like that?
    Such a forum doesn't officially exist. There are plenty of them openly discussing highly illegal activity in great detail but they don't deal with computers. So, it's easier for you to find out how to make heroin, smuggle cocaine, or pull off I.D. theft, than it is to find help with SAM file /password access.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Such a forum doesn't officially exist. There are plenty of them openly discussing highly illegal activity in great detail but they don't deal with computers. So, it's easier for you to find out how to make heroin, smuggle cocaine, or pull off I.D. theft, than it is to find help with SAM file /password access.
    It's stupid really, Thankfully I got the guys My documents and his 10 gigs of Itunes copied out under Knoppix and then I deleted all of the partitions, reinstalled win7 and put his files back.

His grandmother has Panda internet security professional with a 3 machine license, and she's only using 2 of them, so I loaded that and told the kid to stop using free A/V junk.

Banned

And it's not even the "free" part that makes them junk. Plenty of paid ones are junk too. Avast free is actually pretty good. I have it on several machines and have tested it thoroughly. Not bad at all, but no antivirus is any match for a lack of common sense. If the user cannot follow a few very simple rules and use common sense, then antivirus is not enough no matter how good it is. Panda isn't bad but if he screws with the firewall rules it's only as good as a mud fence in a rain storm. If this user continues to use the computer as he has been, it won't do much good.

Hey guys...sorry to just cut into to the middle of a conversation...but I wanted to drop in and say hi while I have two minutes. Nursing clinicals are already kicking my butt and it's only the third week. Mondays and Tuesdays I am up at 5:30a...home at 4pm, and then I study until I fall asleep and get back up Tuesday at 5:30a. Wednesdays-Fridays my school schedule is not as bad, but I have a lot of work to do at home...to say the least. My first exam is next week and I start working in the field in two weeks...at the hospital or a nursing home, not sure which one yet. It is pretty intense. I don't really like the people in my program much...the teachers are great, but most of the students are young and have chips on their shoulders. Ahhh...to be young again and think I know everything....aren't they in for a big surprise in about twenty years....lol. The snakes are all good and I just wanted to let you all know I'm alive...hope everyone is well! Miss you all!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Hey guys...sorry to just cut into to the middle of a conversation...but I wanted to drop in and say hi while I have two minutes. Nursing clinicals are already kicking my butt and it's only the third week. Mondays and Tuesdays I am up at 5:30a...home at 4pm, and then I study until I fall asleep and get back up Tuesday at 5:30a. Wednesdays-Fridays my school schedule is not as bad, but I have a lot of work to do at home...to say the least. My first exam is next week and I start working in the field in two weeks...at the hospital or a nursing home, not sure which one yet. It is pretty intense. I don't really like the people in my program much...the teachers are great, but most of the students are young and have chips on their shoulders. Ahhh...to be young again and think I know everything....aren't they in for a big surprise in about twenty years....lol. The snakes are all good and I just wanted to let you all know I'm alive...hope everyone is well! Miss you all!
    I was wondering where you'd got to . Good luck with the exam next week, and I'm sure the hard work will be worthwhile in the end.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia