Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuddles!

Re: Cuddles!

Hopefully I won't have to go anywhere at all...it's up for debate at the moment.
    In the meantime, I'm brainstorming ideas for tank improvements, but I'm still weak from being sick so there's only so much I can do.
    I am well enough to handle Cuddles again, though - which is apparently making him quite happy as he's already curled up in my shorts again - and I wanted to check his skin. While there isn't as much flaking as there was previously, I did notice one spot and I tried to get some pictures of it. It's so tiny that it was difficult, and the flakes are nearly transparent so they are very hard to see. I tried flash and non-flash pictures. I'll see if I got anything.
    Honestly, it reminds me of what my skin does (my skin is extremely dry, and I'm very close to having eczema like my brothers) when it is dry or something, although his skin doesn't get rough and mine usually does. It's odd that there's still some flaking spots because the humidity in his tank is higher than normal thanks to the rain we've been having.

The flakes are gone now. They must have rubbed off when he was crawling around in my shorts. This is the only picture of the flaking that I got (circled it with a red circle). Like I said, it's almost invisible.
    SAM_1702.jpg
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

As long as he is eating, drinking, pooping and active...I wouldn't worry too much. He probably just had a little bit of shed left or maybe snakes just get some dry skin patches...a couple other members have recently reported similar dry skin patches. Try giving him a little warm bath every couple of days and see if that helps. It doesn't seem like anything to worry over at this point.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Good looking Northwestern (T.ordinoides)
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

He is a really beautiful snake!
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Thanks! I think so too. He's my little sweet-heart. Although, I have to say I really want an Oregon spotted. They're pretty too.
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

Getting more garter snakes is always a good thing!
    Marnie

My mom seemed totally unenthusiastic when I mentioned wanting more xD

Do wild-caught garters make ok pets (if they're well contained)?
    I don't know that I can afford to buy snakes. Catching them seems easier. And a friend of mine needs a pet. I think a snake would be good for him, once he learns how to take care of it.
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

Yes...many members on here have wild caught garters...two of mine are wild caught. Remember though...that you don't want to pluck a snake out of it's natural habitat if it is thriving just for the sake of having a pet. Many members who have wild caught garters have them because they wouldn't have survived if left in the wild...they were rescued snakes. It's a judgement call...if you see a snake in the wild and it seems happy and healthy and taking it out of it's natural environment would disrupt things for the snake...it's probably best to leave it be. But if the snake is in danger of being killed or struggling to find food and taking in it would be better for the snake, then I say you are doing a good thing. Seeley was trapped in a spider web in my basement in the cold winter...and Cee Cee was in my flower bed about to be mowed over by a lawn mower. Also...some wild caught snakes do not adjust to being in captivity...others adjust quite nicely.
    Marnie

We get a lot of injured ones around here. We used to find babies in our yards that were hurt or having trouble surviving. Mom always made me let them go. I know we'll get some in our yard this year because of the type of yard and vegetation we have, as well as because of the new area we live in. I've found that trying to handle full-grown wild ones can be hard, so I'm more thinking about the ones that I find around here on a regular basis.

I remember a poor baby I found years ago. It was deformed or something, and it probably wouldn't have survived even if I had taken it in. But I was still upset when my mom got rid of it without telling me and without letting me take care of it.
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

I'm sure you were. Well then, if you find a young snake in your yard this year...you can take one in for your friend and maybe find one for yourself. Just make sure to teach your friend everything you have learned about caring for garters and introduce him to the forum. Yes, Cee Cee is bigger and older and she can be quite fiesty. Seeley was young when I found him...he is very sweet, but they are both very skiddish...they do not cuddle like Cuddles...lol...but seriously, they don't like to be held. But Steve has plenty of wild ones that are very friendly and love being held...Chantel has a few too I believe...and Kat may have some W/C garters too. I know all of their snakes are very affectionate.
    Marnie