Page 1249 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 24974911491199123912471248124912501251125912991349 ... LastLast
Results 12,481 to 12,490 of 14098
    Banned

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

A lot of buzz going around about the crop this year. It's a bumper one. Been mild and constantly wet for several weeks now. People are going out for an hour or two, and coming back with garbage bags full. That includes a lot of very desireable edible species such as chantrels and morels. But my favorite local wild mushroom is only good for consumption, one day of it's lifespan and those are shaggy manes. They taste like medium rare fillet mignon, I'm not kidding. The species pictured above tastes like moldy dirt. LoL. But nobody eats them for their flavor.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 10-31-2012 at 02:40 PM.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Interesting. I shall look into this.

Banned

The thing is, you never know where they're going to pop up. Sometimes in the spring, but usually in the fall. Sometimes on lawns, sometimes on rotting leaf litter. They usually don't grow in the same location more than a few years in a row, then they're gone. But they're common enough that I find them often. The key is to find them at the right time. They only last perhaps 30 hours. Once they drop their spores, they begin to dissolve. They will not keep in a fridge either. They can grow singly, but usually in large scattered clumps. You must eat them right after picking. Just a few hours later, they will be unfit for consumption. They're a very large species of inky cap. DO NOT consume alcohol 12 hours prior to, or 24 hours after eating them or you'll wish you were dead.

Photo of one in prime condition for eating. I prefer them raw. Part of the reason they taste like steak is that they are high in iron.

Interesting indeed. I actually think I've seen those, quite a few of them down near a creek nearby. Whether I attempt consuming them or not, I'm intrigued. By a mushroom. That's a first.

Banned

If it looks fresh like this one, and isn't full of little holes or dissolving, give it a try. There are no poisonous look-alikes. The entire genus is safe to eat. Ignore the springtails and other assorted tiny bugs. They won't kill you.

I'll go out lookin for some later. I know I've seen them

Banned

Don't eat them if you're allergic to diethylthiocarbamoy (otherwise known by the pharmaceutical names Antibuse or Disulfiram) and don't drink alcohol before or 24 hours after eating them. These have a high potential for containing this chemical in small, but varying amounts although some people report no reaction even if they eat them with alcohol. A few bites won't contain enough to do anything. The molecule inhibits your ability to metabolize ethyl alcohol. That would cause flushing and nausea if taken with alcohol. Very uncomfortable. It's othewise harmless.

You're not going to die if you do. Just a precaution to avoid a very miserable potential outcome.

Gotcha. Thanks. Probably won't even find any

Banned

I only seem to find them by accident myself. Usually when I've been drinking. D'OH!

Hmm Thanks for the tip

Nah but I have a looot of different mushrooms around, I'll stumble across those sooner or later. Gives me something to do now that the reptiles are gone. Not that there are any around here anyway.