Page 1239 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 23973911391189122912371238123912401241124912891339 ... LastLast
Results 12,381 to 12,390 of 14098

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

What have I been missing? Make-your-own Hitler videos?? My son seems to be doing a bit better. I think his fever broke during the night. I think he has willed himself better because he has a baseball game tomorrow night...lol.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"First shed In Progress" Chulio's Avatar

I am glad your son is better. I volunteer at out Children's hospital and seeing kids sick is always tough.

Am I the only one who thinks Hitler videos are just not funny. I guess I am just getting old and am that guy that complains. That scene is from the movie Downfall and he is realizing that he will not be able to keep killing Jewish people and take over the world. Don't stop because of me just because I don't find it funny. Comedy is totally subjective and I do get that.

Jimi
    Please do not drink and drive

Quote Originally Posted by Chulio View Post
    That scene is from the movie Downfall and he is realizing that he will not be able to keep killing Jewish people and take over the world.
    Nope, just that he's lost the war.

Killing the Jews was a minor episode considering everything else he did (after all, he did cause the deaths of 20-25 million Russians) and he wasn't trying to take over the world. A large part of western Eurasia, yes. The world, no.

I think it's safe to say that Hitler was a wanker.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    I think it's safe to say that Hitler was a wanker.
    Safe, in that it's fairly easy to agree with. Unsafe, in that there are certain nitpickers who think it's an oversimplification and that dismissing him as a "wanker" makes it more difficult to discuss the state of mind and motives of people like him and is therefore counterproductive, considering that we need to be able to understand his kind in order to prevent or stop similar tragedies from happening again.

It would be very hard to understand him and what was really going through his mind when he did what he did.There have been plenty worse than him but for some reason he kept outdated and grossly wrong views that hadn't been practiced for centuries.Do we know why he did these things?
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    It would be very hard to understand him and what was really going through his mind when he did what he did.There have been plenty worse than him but for some reason he kept outdated and grossly wrong views that hadn't been practiced for centuries.Do we know why he did these things?
    Everybody has a pet theory about why he did what he did.

Personally, I think he was pretty open and honest about his motives, but was severely misguided (he believed in BS). I don't think he was mentally ill, I'm convinced he was just very devout as far as his ideals were concerned. Most of his views reflect the prevailing views of his era. Nationalism, imperialism, eugenics, racism, antisemitism were all alive and well all across the western world, from the Soviet Union to the US (also Finland), and in that regard it's not difficult to see why he got so much support in the early days and met so little resistance.

Nobody really cared about what happened in Germany until he invaded Poland in 1939 and even then people only cared because both France and Britain had signed defence treaties with Poland and were forced to react. It was more about prestige than anything else at that point. Nobody cared about the Jewish people being disenfranchised in the preceding decade and the war was in full swing when the existence of the concentration-, work- and death camps became known.

I hope nobody interprets anything I write here as a defence of him or his actions.

"First shed In Progress" Chulio's Avatar

"I hope nobody interprets anything I write here as a defense of him or his actions."

I think you state your point well without anybody thinking that.
    Please do not drink and drive

Well...yes, Hitler was a wanker. And my son is still sick...everytime the medicine wears off, his fever shoots back up. I'm waiting for a call from the doctor. He is going to miss his baseball game tonight and he is not happy. He's been out of school all week. Thank God for my mother because I have to go to school...I can't miss my classes. I hate leaving when Julian is sick.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Chulio View Post
    "I hope nobody interprets anything I write here as a defense of him or his actions."

I think you state your point well without anybody thinking that.
    It's a sensitive issue and I have been in situations, where the person I've been talking to has thought that the things I've just said qualify as a defence of Hitler and Nazi Germany.