Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Re: A note concerning pre-packaged frozen fish

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I DO fish for my own trout... there are currently quite a few in my freezer!
    lol, I was trying to find the list of safe fish when I found this thread...I can only catch trout by tickling, my step dad taught me when I was young, but I think it might be classed as poaching now!
    Inge
    our house is like a zoo, too many to list here!

Bump. Good thread.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHedgehog View Post
    lol, I was trying to find the list of safe fish when I found this thread...I can only catch trout by tickling, my step dad taught me when I was young, but I think it might be classed as poaching now!
    Have you read Johnny Kingdom - A Wild Life on Exmoor? He spent many of his younger years tickling trout, great book very funny and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Bump. Good thread.
    Good Bump

Banned

Do they giggle when U tickle them?

Having read this post I too have been feeding frozen Salmon not thinking to check the ingredients? just checked the packet and it says that it only contains Salmon (Fish) and protective ice glaze (Water) IMAG2172.jpg I can only assume it is safe to use Asda is owned by Wal-mart.
    ATB, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
    Having read this post I too have been feeding frozen Salmon not thinking to check the ingredients? just checked the packet and it says that it only contains Salmon (Fish) and protective ice glaze (Water) IMAG2172.jpg I can only assume it is safe to use Asda is owned by Wal-mart.
    Good stuff there. By law the Sodium Tripolyphosphate is required to be listed if it's used. Can you show us the whole package? so others can buy some.

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Good stuff there. By law the Sodium Tripolyphosphate is required to be listed if it's used. Can you show us the whole package? so others can buy some.

Thanks for posting.
    Here you go Guys! Hope this is of some use to you IMAG2173.jpg There is usually 4-6 pieces of Salmon steaks in each packet. Sometimes they are individually wrapped but mostly they are just loose in the packet.
    ATB, Rod

Banned

Huh... when I buy Salmon it generally comes like this:

Year 'round we got whole farmed coho and rainbow trout/Steelhead and seasonally we get whole Wild Alaskan and WA Chinook and other species. Of course you can buy just fillet too but only certain ones. Every spring all the stores around Centralia/Chehalis WA have huge metal tubs sitting outside full of ice and locally caught wild salmon. Tons of it. So much that the price drops like a lead balloon and literally everyone is selling it. Not really much call for packaged stuff but they do have a little especially in winter and it's generally cheaper than fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Natrix View Post
    Yeah it's just fish and water but what kind/locale salmon is it? The answer makes a big difference in the levels of heavy metals/PCB's which is present in nearly all salmon so "safe" is a relative term. Unless it's Wild Alaskan, it's really not safe for anyone to eat 10 servings a month. I can't believe they even still sell/eat Atlantic salmon it's so contaminated. If you compare prices of different salmon (and many fish in general) it's a pretty safe bet that the highest priced ones are the cleanest and the lowest is barely safe to eat 8oz a month.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Huh... when I buy Salmon it generally comes like this:

Year 'round we got whole farmed coho and rainbow trout/Steelhead and seasonally we get whole Wild Alaskan and WA Chinook and other species. Of course you can buy just fillet too but only certain ones. Every spring all the stores around Centralia/Chehalis WA have huge metal tubs sitting outside full of ice and locally caught wild salmon. Tons of it. So much that the price drops like a lead balloon and literally everyone is selling it. Not really much call for packaged stuff but they do have a little especially in winter and it's generally cheaper than fresh.

Yeah it's just fish and water but what kind/locale salmon is it? The answer makes a big difference in the levels of heavy metals/PCB's which is present in nearly all salmon so "safe" is a relative term. Unless it's Wild Alaskan, it's really not safe for anyone to eat 10 servings a month. I can't believe they even still sell/eat Atlantic salmon it's so contaminated. If you compare prices of different salmon (and many fish in general) it's a pretty safe bet that the highest priced ones are the cleanest and the lowest is barely safe to eat 8oz a month.
    Yet another reason to emigrate over there from this horrible country.
    ATB, Rod

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Unless it's Wild Alaskan, it's really not safe for anyone to eat 10 servings a month.
    Wild Alaskan isn't going to be easy to get on this side of the pond, but Scottish salmon/trout doesn't have dangerous levels of anything harmful.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia