Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuddles!

Re: Cuddles!

No, it's right-side up.
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

Not sure how to help without knowing exactly what you've got there.
    Might be better to locate the proper lid or purchase (craigslist: goa classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events) a different enclosure.
    If you have an open area and the snake can reach it you are moments away from having that snake get out.
    They are escape artists.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Finding the right lid for this tank may be impossible. I've been looking for other enclosures, but I haven't found anything as of yet. Let me see if I can get some better pictures...
    SAM_1679.jpg<-- the lid, upside-down
    SAM_1680.jpg<--right side-up, as it would sit on top of the tank.

These are some pictures of the rim around the top of the tank. It was designed with a lid that slid in and then clipped on. It was relatively unique around the time that I bought it - other stores weren't selling the same model - and I haven't been able to find a replacement.
    SAM_1675.jpgSAM_1676.jpgSAM_1677.jpg

The lid I have pictured above sits on top of the tank. Because the tank was designed for a slide-in lid, the one I have for it now leaves a gap at the back, where the tank's side is lower.

Petco, the store I bought the original tank and lid from, does not sell replacement lids of this style. I wasn't able to find any replacements available at PetSmart either, and the only other pet store I know of in the area that sells tanks/aquariums is a mostly aquatic store with lids similar to the one I currently have (that petstore is also in a bad part of town and I am not going back there).

Edit: Also, I tried the Portland Craigslist with no luck, but I've been keeping a close eye on it since I've been home.
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

I would say build a custom lid for it. That's easy for me to say since I've done it before for tanks like that.
    The custom lid would sit on the slide rails and would have a lower front lip to cover that open area.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

How would you go about building a custom lid? At this point my resources include cardboard boxes, scissors, Elmer's glue, and whatever random assortment of objects I might find in our garage.
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

They do still make tanks like that but only in 20 gallon and they aren't cheap...I have one. Got it at Petsmart...they don't make them in 10 gallon. Yeah, the only thing you could do would be to make a custom lid that slides into it like Steve said...but he's handy like that...I wouldn't be able to do it. If you put heavy things on top of the lid...does it make the top of the lid sit against the tank rim enough so that if Cuddles got up into that inside gap area he at least couldn't get past the lid? Does that make any sense?

Do you have a hot glue gun? I would think that you could use a hot glue gun to glue platforms against the glass...but you would have to make sure they were glued on very securely so that they couldn't come off and fall on Cuddles...a better idea may be to make a platform that can just stand in the tank. Jesse has one in his tank...I keep trying to get him to PM me instructions on how to build it...but I think it looks pretty simple...and now I can't find the thread. But it looks like he just basically made a small wooden table and put it in the tank. I was thinking of going to the dollar store and getting a small plastic stool to use as a platform...when I get it set up in the tank, I'll post pics.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by acovert View Post
    How would you go about building a custom lid? At this point my resources include cardboard boxes, scissors, Elmer's glue, and whatever random assortment of objects I might find in our garage.

I will try to post a few photos of one I made to give you an idea.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Projects will have to wait.
    I'm going to have to find someone to take care of cuddles for a while. I can't do it right now.
    I feel like my whole life just fell apart. I may have to go away for a while.
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

Be sure they know what to do. How long will you be gone?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Ashley...please PM me and I will give you my phone number and you can call me and we can talk...there are people on here that care about you...let us be your friend and help you with whatever is going on. I'm going to PM you my phone number now...just call me if you can.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe