Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Snake Trivia: Meaning of the word "concinnus"

OK, new trivial fact (I think it hasn't been told, but I asked the question)

I've heard the meaning of Thamnophis. I've heard the english meaning of many of the species names such as sirtalis, radix, etc. Some of the species names refer to the person who first described the species on paper. I always wondered what concinnus meant. At first my gut told me it referred to the orange/red color but that's not it. If it was called T.s. rufus or T.s. rutilus then yes, that would refer to the color as those latin words refer to the color red.

I finally found out what concinnus translates to:

to sing together, celebrate.

I don't recall any garter snakes singing together or alone. Sure, concinnus get together but generally in less numbers than other garters in their range with which they share dens.

Ordinoides is pretty self explanatory since the english word "ordinary" is from the latin word. Basically, an extremely common and plain snake is to be assumed by the species name and that would be pretty accurate.

What I don't understand is how Oregon red-spotted garter snakes came to be named concinnus. to sing together, celebrate.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps the red spots looked "festive" when compared to the other drab, ordinary snakes in their range?

Re: Snake Trivia: Meaning of the word "concinnus"

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    OK, new trivial fact (I think it hasn't been told, but I asked the question)

I've heard the meaning of Thamnophis. I've heard the english meaning of many of the species names such as sirtalis, radix, etc. Some of the species names refer to the person who first described the species on paper. I always wondered what concinnus meant. At first my gut told me it referred to the orange/red color but that's not it. If it was called T.s. rufus or T.s. rutilus then yes, that would refer to the color as those latin words refer to the color red.

I finally found out what concinnus translates to:

to sing together, celebrate.

I don't recall any garter snakes singing together or alone. Sure, concinnus get together but generally in less numbers than other garters in their range with which they share dens.

Ordinoides is pretty self explanatory since the english word "ordinary" is from the latin word. Basically, an extremely common and plain snake is to be assumed by the species name and that would be pretty accurate.

What I don't understand is how Oregon red-spotted garter snakes came to be named concinnus. to sing together, celebrate.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps the red spots looked "festive" when compared to the other drab, ordinary snakes in their range?
    I agree with your previous statement:

Definition of concinnous
    [kuhn-sin-uhs]adjective

characterized by concinnity; elegant; harmonious; stylistically congruous.

Origin:
    1645–55; < L concinnus neatly arranged, elegant; see -ous

Elegant and neatly arranged? I can agree with that.

If anyone else has a better explanation of the origin of the concinnus name attached to our beloved Red-spotted (sirtalis) garter snake, I would love to hear it!
    Fits that "singing together" part pretty well, too.

Banned

Re: Snake Trivia

Oh OK. I didn't even remember that one. I like that explanation better. I also discovered that the translator I used is absolute rubbish. Dang, I wish I could find my own posts like you do. After spending unreasonable amounts of time looking for it, I just give up.

While we are on that subject, where the heck is my March 20 thread where I announced that I finally found garters?

While we are on that subject, where the heck is my March 20 thread where I announced that I finally found garters?
    Well, where did you leave it?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Well, where did you leave it?
    Well thanks stefan, that's extremely helpful. I don't generally lose things if I can remember where I put them.

No, it's OK I found it in spring sightings

I just noticed that in the painting Head of Medusa, by Peter Paul Rubens (1618), the Medusa's hair consists exclusively of grass snakes.

Re: Interesting concinnus/garter autopsy

Characterization of venom (Duvernoy's secretion) from twelve species of colubrid snakes and partial sequence of four venom proteins. Toxicon 38(12):1663-1687. Report enzyme assays, electrophoresis, protein sequencing, etc. for venom, saliva New, Old World species; observe Thamnophis, Diadophis, Hypsiglena bites lethal to other snakes.

http://www.unco.edu/nhs/biology/facu...20Mackessy.pdf
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Clin Toxicol. 1981 May;18(5):573-9. Envenomation following the bite of a wandering garter snake (Thamnophis elegans vagrans). Vest DK.

Following a prolonged bite by a large specimen of the wandering garter snake (Thamnophis elegans vagrans), symptoms of envenomation rapidly developed. Swelling, edema, pain, and localized hemorrhaging occurred but without the subsequent onset of systemic manifestations. The bite recipient was carefully examined and the evolution of poisoning monitored. Depending upon duration of the bite and inclination of the snake, members of this species are capable of occasionally causing mild envenomation in humans, inducing localized poisoning not unlike that seen following bites by small Crotalidae (pit vipers).
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Good article on garter toxicity - http://www.wms.org/magazine/264.pdf

Nice. Although I would have put them in the Snake Trivia thread.