Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: And then there was a new morph?

Out of interest was the two headed garter still born or alive?
    Sam 2.1 T.s.sirtalis 0.2 T.marcianus 0.0.1 L.g.floridana 1.0 L.g.californiae 1.0 Eryx colubrinus 0.0.1 P.g.guttatus 0.1 Python regius

the red sided giant reptileparadise's Avatar

Hypo on its self means nothing indeed!
    But as you guys all know, hypo in the reptile world is mostly used for hypo melanistic animals. We can all start making a big fuzz over it, or just use our common sense and realise its probably used to describe a hypo melanistic animal
    (...I know, I know... don't take anything for granted, but why make a big deal out if it when its pretty/98% sure everone is talking about the same thing... Even though its not 100% correct to say it like that...)

At Eight; It was born alive, but put down by us. No need to keep that alive!
    www.facebook.com/crazyreptiles
    welcome ( at ) crazyreptiles . eu

I can see the sense in putting it down. They've always fascinated me though. Especially when it comes to eating.
    Sam 2.1 T.s.sirtalis 0.2 T.marcianus 0.0.1 L.g.floridana 1.0 L.g.californiae 1.0 Eryx colubrinus 0.0.1 P.g.guttatus 0.1 Python regius

Quote Originally Posted by reptileparadise View Post
    But as you guys all know, hypo in the reptile world is mostly used for hypo melanistic animals. We can all start making a big fuzz over it, or just use our common sense and realise its probably used to describe a hypo melanistic animal
    That may be, but I'm not going to play along and support the practice of using a prefix (hypo-) to describe a concept that depends entirely on what come after the prefix. It's the equivalent of referring to amelanism as "a" or to melanism as "ism". In short, it may be common practice, but the common practice is wrong.

(...I know, I know... don't take anything for granted, but why make a big deal out if it when its pretty/98% sure everone is talking about the same thing... Even though its not 100% correct to say it like that...)
    Because it's not 100% correct.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

duhhhhhh

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

many hypos dont fall under one catagory....thats when hypomelanistic etc. became just hypos. its become its own word and not just a prefix...in the reptile world i might have to add

It is a prefix regardless of the world, and the reptile world needs to come up with a word with sufficient descriptive power.

Adult snake

As a buyer, any time I see a "hypo" for sale, I just move on. If the seller can't accurately describe the product, I don't trust that it is what they say it is.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Jeez...I am hypofascinated by the argument over wording right now. Lol....just giving you guys a hard time.

That is unfortunate about the two headed garter. I'm sorry that happened and that it had to be put down.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Banned

I must have missed any discussion about a two headed garter in this thread. What two headed garter? and why did it have to be put down?

This one seemed to do just fine: