Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: Scaleless garter

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    I think it looks cool, but I believe that usually scaleless reptiles have more problems with shedding.
    That is incorrect... and it's amazing this misinformation gets spread around so much still. They shed completely normal... like any other snake. In captivity being a scaleless does not affect their quality of life at all. They go about their lives the same as any other snake does. Eating, pooping, shedding, crawling around... They have all of their belly scales, so crawling is really no different for them. They also have facial scales and usually one or two rows of dorsal scales. Ultimately scaleless snakes in captivity is simply a visual abnormality.

Bearded dragons... different story. They have to constantly be monitored and peeled or they lose fingers and stuff.

Either way... I have mixed feelings about scaleless snakes. In captivity, it doesn't affect them. They aren't suffering, it's not cruel... it just is what it is. I don't even really like amels all too much either but hardly anyone who is so against the scaleless thing gives two thoughts or cares about amelanism and the adverse effects it has on vision. I personally would have a much large problem with people doing things such as breeding eyeless animals where their quality of life is obvious altered as it completely removes one of their 5 vital senses.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Third shed, A Success" aquamentus_11's Avatar

I agree. This isn't decreasing its quality of life. As far as human-selected, less-fit traits go, this is pretty tame. (compare to "midget" kittens and any form of lap dog...) its skin is very beautiful and interesting to actually see like this, but selecting for it just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

i bet it bruises easily
    Nate

1.0 Battlecat- Ted

I also imagine they are more susceptible to skin injury and infection.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I also imagine they are more susceptible to skin injury and infection.
    I know several people who keep them. It's not as fragile as you would think. It does feel exceptionally weird. It's extremely smooth feeling. Like silk. As long as you are keeping your animals in good conditions and feeding f/t or dead prey, you have nothing to be concerned about.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I know several people who keep them. It's not as fragile as you would think. It does feel exceptionally weird. It's extremely smooth feeling. Like silk. As long as you are keeping your animals in good conditions and feeding f/t or dead prey, you have nothing to be concerned about.
    I guess my comment was to the fact they don't have scales protecting their skin.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I guess my comment was to the fact they don't have scales protecting their skin.
    If they were being attacked by a predator they would definitely be at much greater risk than a snake with scales.