Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Re: Dont listen to what anybody says on this forum

I lost internet access during Sandy and I did just fine

Banned

Live without internet for years. And without a cell phone for that matter. I was an adult before either of them existed. Never even got the phone until about a year or two ago. Apparently, I survived.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Yeah, we could all live without internet or thamnophis.com, but it's a privilege to be able to talk with other thamnophis entusiast and share our experiences with one another. Heck if we didn't have phones or internet most of us would only be able to catch and keep a few native snakes and wouldn't be able to get all these cool non native garters. It also helps the hobby majorly as far as selling and buying goes. I feel very blessed to be able to come on this forum and speak to all of you about thamnophis.
    Bluesirtalis

Banned

Long before internet or mobile phones, you could buy non-native snakes from breeders. I even used to see concinnus' for sale. The thing is, it was through little classified ads in magazines like "Reptiles magazine" or "vivarium" and the like. Definitely easier now though.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

The main thing that drew me to internet reptile forums was the fact that it was the only place to get reasonable healthcare advice for my pets for years. Until this summer, the only vets within two hours of me knew less about caring for reptiles than I did. We actually didn't get usable internet until I was around 13. Not that long in the big picture, but compared to a lot of people my age, I may as well have been living in the stone age!

... And then I realized that there were people out there breeding shiny new garter snakes in every color I could think of. Now I have three times the number of garters I did when I first discovered internet classifieds.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Hey, just wanted to respond. I actually *wanted* him to reply and tell me his history. I wanted to make him want to reply.
    I'm not going to respect anyone's fly by opinion, tell me who you are and why you think that way.
    i could tell right away it was a frustration thing with the death of animals...but also come on, that is not the way to inform people. Just say "i'm upset over all the deaths i see, stop feeding feeder fish and talapia" and that will be a USEFUL post.

I've been on the inernet a lot of years. I've moderated. I've become fed up, i've joined new forums, left others, etc. All of us know there is no longevity with attitude. You can be blunt, but overall, no one is going to be receptive to information that is rude. You're just not going to come across a lot of mature people who can handle being told they're wrong.
    if you really care about the welfare of the animals, you have to schmooze a bit. *shrug*
    i mean at least provide the information to each individual once in a receptive way...if they don't take it then, then you can ignore them. Or vent. But no one picks up a book anymore...if they can't find it on the first page of google, they're not reading it.
    Presenting it so they absorb it, read it, and don't get pissy about it and ignore it, may be the only way to reach some people and save pets. *shrug*

I just disagree with this slapdash posting style, frustrated or not.
    Melissa
    31 snakes, 14 species. Various other critters, 3 emperor scorpions, 1 cave spider, 19 tarantulas, 1 gecko, 2 dogs, 1 frogs, 1 rat. 1 pigeon, tons of fish.

"Third shed In Progress" kimbosaur's Avatar

I don't understand where the comment about sugar coating advice is coming from. If somebody is doing something obviously wrong, it seems that more often than not, somebody will try and inform that member of a better solution, or discuss possible risks of their actions. I don't think people deserve to be attacked if they are making mistakes. As a complete newbie to reptiles, I really appreciate when people tell me I'm doing something wrong, but I also appreciate that I'm not shunned or attacked for it. The only reason I'm on this forum, or any forum for that matter, is because I want to learn as much as I can through other people's experience. There's a way to try and help people help their animals without being a **** about it.
    kimberly

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Positive comment: Wow looks like Tom's comments really united everyone!
    I do have some advice for everyone: buy more morphs!
    I rarely have time anymore, but I certainly know where to go for my monthly overdose of drama.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it Joe, lol.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Did i miss something Jeff? Put what in my pipe?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    Did i miss something Jeff? Put what in my pipe?
    Nothing. Still illegal where you are so I'm sure that kind of thing doesn't go on there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    We actually didn't get usable internet until I was around 13.
    I was 20, and even then, it was dial-up at the blazing fast speed of 5-7 kbps.