Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Snakes

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

Re: New Snakes

well anery+amel=snow but i guess putting it as anery poss het for albino means the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by GartersRock View Post
    I think when you have Homozogous Anery, and you technically have 66% poss het for AMEL they would say it's 66% poss het for snow. Because that's what would come out of a homozogous anery. Right?
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

"PM Boots For Custom Title" count dewclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Reed, how did the breeder get 66% possible? If I am correct, you said the breeding was between a totally normal sand boa, and one that was "het snow" which actually means double heterozygous for Amelanic and Anerythristic. That would mean the normal parent's genotype would be AABB. The double het's genotype would be AaBb. When you line up these in a punnet square using each different combination of geners from each parent, you get the results that statistically, 1 in 4 or 25% of the offspring would have the genotype AaBb. 25% would be AABb, 25% would be AaBB, and 25% would be AABB, or completely normal. Then again, this is only statistically what will happen, what happens in real life is totally different. All the babies could be double het amel/anery, or all the babies could be het for nothing. There is simply no way to tell until you breed the animals.

But I am confused. Didn't you say the boas you are getting are anery? which would meant that they are possible het Amel (breeders like to say poss het snow it sounds better), meaning that one of the parents could absolutely not have been normal. It would have to have been an anery, or heterozygous for it. Both parents would have to either express or carry the anery gene in order for offspring to express it.

Maybe in your explanation you meant the parents were both anery's and one was het for amel? If so, you babies would be 50% possible hets for amel. I have started to wrack my brain so hard that I have now confused myself. could you please post the genetics of the parents of your snakes so i can have some peace of mind?! haha

I forget which scenario causes 66% of the phenotypically normal offspring to possibly be a het, but i know it's not this one
    Shannon, in this instance there are two different traits, so the Punet square would have 16 possible combinations. Statistically, 3 would be anery and of those 3, 2 are het for amel (but you can't tell which 2). Thus the 66% possible het for "snow". Hope that didn't muddy the waters further...
    LeAnn
    "The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    "Jokes are for kids, but puns are for the grown."

This thread has made my brain throw up. LOLOLOL

I like snake... pretty snake... ahhh, nice color. That's about my speed.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EdgyExoticReptiles View Post
    well anery+amel=snow but i guess putting it as anery poss het for albino means the same thing
    Yeah, it makes sense to me. *shrugs* And congrats on the new snakes! Forgot to say that before. lol
    Amanda Tolleson

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Anery poss het amel is correct. Anery poss het snow just sounds better. I find it extremely misleading to newcomers in the hobby who do not know that snow animals are a combination mutation and not a single gene. So I like to remind people that it's an anery animal het AMEL, and not snow... since only if you breed this animal to another that is carrying/expressing both amel and anery will you get snows. And that's only possibly. Unless of course both parents are anery het amel.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by count dewclaw View Post
    Shannon, in this instance there are two different traits, so the Punet square would have 16 possible combinations. Statistically, 3 would be anery and of those 3, 2 are het for amel (but you can't tell which 2). Thus the 66% possible het for "snow". Hope that didn't muddy the waters further...

aha!! now i remember! I was sitting there looking at my little drawn punnet square for a long time. It was late, and I was tired. I knew it was possible but could not remember for the life of me how it was figured.

I have a very good understanding of genetics, my senior year I actually taught my class the genetics stuff using snakes and color mutations as examples because I understood it 10x better than my own teacher! So she let me do it! I aced that class so sickenlingly well that my other classmates pretty much hated me

She eventually had me draw a punnet square of parent snakes carrying four different mutations for everyone.... sheesh that took forever
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

The snakies are here and there really cute the breeder (new age reptile) did a great job of packing they werent even cold. Ill get pics up hopefully later today
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com