Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breeder mice

Re: Breeder mice

I once had a dog with megaesophagus. Same concept, different end. Had to feed him a liquid diet, and he had to stand with his feet up on the counter for the food to be pulled down to his stomach. It was pretty crazy.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lori P View Post
    I once had a dog with megaesophagus. Same concept, different end. Had to feed him a liquid diet, and he had to stand with his feet up on the counter for the food to be pulled down to his stomach. It was pretty crazy.
    Wow. If that happened to one of my dogs that would be so hard. How long did he live if you don't mind me asking?
    Amanda Tolleson

Until I euthanized him... because it was soooo difficult. I gave him the best time I could, but, it really was a huge undertaking. He was a border collie... I'd found him chained out behind a farmer's barn when I went to get hay, just a total unbelieveable skeleton. The guy had no idea what was wrong with him, had basically chained him back there to die. :-( I guess I had him maybe 4 or 5 months... he did more than double his body weight. But with so many other animals to care for, I just literally ran out of steam with this guy. One of those animals I'll always feel I failed... because I chose to euth him for my own convenience. Adam was his name. Some day I'll have to face him again and try to explain to him why I gave up.....
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

"First shed In Progress"

Here's a link about megacolon:Zen-Rats - Megacolon - genetik og arvelighed

So sorry about your little rat. This is why we don't breed our own feeders...it's still hard for me to watch the b/f feed his python rats. It doesn't bother me as much with mice, though.
    50+ rats, 9 mice, 10 ASFRs, 3 geckos, 4 gerbils, 5 snakes, 3 rabbits, 2 frogs, 2 dogs, 1 opossum, 1 chinchilla, 2 hamsters, 3 water dragons, 1 newt, and 1 fiance'.

Until I euthanized him... because it was soooo difficult. I gave him the best time I could, but, it really was a huge undertaking. He was a border collie... I'd found him chained out behind a farmer's barn when I went to get hay, just a total unbelieveable skeleton. The guy had no idea what was wrong with him, had basically chained him back there to die. :-( I guess I had him maybe 4 or 5 months... he did more than double his body weight. But with so many other animals to care for, I just literally ran out of steam with this guy. One of those animals I'll always feel I failed... because I chose to euth him for my own convenience. Adam was his name. Some day I'll have to face him again and try to explain to him why I gave up.....
    Sorry to hear that had to happen. I am sure it was a super tough decision....
    Amanda Tolleson

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Lori, that's so very sad... you can't beat yourself up over this, though. Adam understood... he was a border collie for goodness sake... he knew how much you loved and cared for him. You gave him the dignified departure that he deserved, happy and healthy, which was probably more than he had ever had I have a friend who's dane developed adult onset mega and it was a never ending battle. He eventually passed away from complications of pneumonia. As you know it's nearly impossible to get them to not occasionally aspirate their food. He had been on numerous long term courses of antibiotics, but still couldn't be saved. If I'm remembering correctly he made it less than a year, even with her doing everything she could. Puppies can sometimes outgrow mega, but in an adult their chances are so slim even with wonderful owners doing everything possible for them. You did not let Adam down and he will someday greet you with a big happy grin, wagging tail, and full tummy...
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

In Hog Heaven

Hey, 'Ster... I wish I could do something besides blabber words that won't do poo to help. I'm sorry you hurt. I'm sorry you have to lose someone you care about.

But, I think you're one special woman and really fantastic. You believe in the food chain and can understand it - even with those you love.

I can't do that. I cannot/could not do what you propose to do. I can't do it.

You're strong and savvy.

Hugs to you. I can, I think, appreciate your tears and pain. I do wish it could be different...

((((('Ster))))
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Lori, from what I have seen in my short time here, you do SO much good for so many critters! Please dont beat yourself up over adam. I am SURE that you gave him love and affection and a good life that he wouldnt have had otherwise. It is the hardest choice to ever have to make but I think somehow we just know when ending things is really the best thing we can do for them. It is probably the worst feeling ever and still we know. You are only human and its not fair to expect more from yourself than that. I dont think you failed at all. You provide so many animals a chance when they wouldnt have had one before. I think thats awesome.
    ~Christa

Quote Originally Posted by Garter_Gertie View Post
    Hey, 'Ster... I wish I could do something besides blabber words that won't do poo to help. I'm sorry you hurt. I'm sorry you have to lose someone you care about.

But, I think you're one special woman and really fantastic. You believe in the food chain and can understand it - even with those you love.

I can't do that. I cannot/could not do what you propose to do. I can't do it.

You're strong and savvy.

Hugs to you. I can, I think, appreciate your tears and pain. I do wish it could be different...

((((('Ster))))
    Thank you Gertie. *sniff* I wish it could be different too. RIP Scufflin'....
    Amanda Tolleson

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GartersRock View Post
    Thank you Gertie. *sniff* I wish it could be different too. RIP Scufflin'....
    So sorry Amanda... didn't mean to overlook your little ratty baby earlier
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.