Thread: Garter huffing

"First shed In Progress" RedSided's Avatar

Garter huffing

My garter seems to make a huffing sound when its distressed and sometimes she makes a single popping sound when I handle her. Anything to cause concern?

She seems to be perfectly happy otherwise, as jumpy and active as usual.

Re: Garter huffing

Hi Tim,

First, welcome to thamnophis.com . I hope you like it here and find plenty of help. Now, If the huffing sound isn't continuous, then I don't think it's an issue. I've noticed that after I've let mine swim too long, they sometimes have a "clicking" sound when they breathe for several minutes afterward. I've also noticed that new snakes will sometimes "click" or even make a sneezing sound while they're adjusting. This is a defensive behavior, and they stop doing it after they calm down. Does this sound like what you're experiencing, or do you notice something else?

Two more questions: How long have you had the snake, and how long has it been doing this?

Rick

I have had her for six or seven years and I think she has probably always done it, what you describe is exactly what happens,the huffing is not continuous and her breathing is silent even when breathing heavily.I just started listening out for it again because I heard that parasites can casue breathing problems but its probably just me being overcautious.She is a lovely snake but just a little skitzy.I think the pet store where I got her from had been feeding her incorrectly and damaged her nerves, she twitches now and then when touched.

Never shed

i'm not an expert on snake health but i know if that clicking gets bad and there is any mucus it could be a respitory infection. but, if the snake has always done it then it might be something different cause i doubt its had an infection its entire life.

It could be like that girl with hiccups for a year.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Hiccups for a year... I had that once .

Now where were we? Oh right, I don't want to freak anyone out... just add a little color to the discussion.

Roundworm larvae make migrations and actually bore through different organs, damaging them in the process. They have a direct life cycle and can build up to dangerous levels without treatment. This probably isn't what we're dealing with since the "clicking" is sporadic, and the snake has been this way for so long.

Lungworms affect respiration, but they cause gaping of the mouth, secretion of an exudate, and persistent noise. They weaken snakes and make them vulnerable to bacterial infections. Again, not what we're dealing with due to the lack of certain symptoms and extreme persistence (6-7 years).

A bacterial infection, such as pneumonia, could cause similar symptoms, but it would have had its way with the snake long before now.

It sounds much more like an agitated snake. Some shake their tail. Some flatten their heads; some bluff strike; some bite; others click when they're feeling irritable. I wouldn't sweat it, but I know how unnerving it can be when something doesn't seem quite right with a snake that you've had for so long.

thanks for all the replys
    Does your water bowl look like a toilet, it does? Guess I will have to change it again