Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Re: Baby T.s. pickeringii

Andrew, I think most of us here agree that catching a garter here and there to keep as a pet is ok as long as the snake isn't endangered and is treated well once in your care. Some neighborhood kids caught our first garter as a yearling and he's been with us 6.5 years now I had planned on only having captive bred garters from here on out and the very same week I received my first two captive bred babies a wild adult showed up in my driveway. I probably could have driven her to a nearby creek or pond, but she's now a part of the household... no laws broken, tho as we have a two snake per species limit and she puts me at two.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

In Hog Heaven

Re: Baby T.s. pickeringii

Quote Originally Posted by ATNGUY View Post
    OK, I was curious about this "Bob" guy.....running around my neighborhood. I read something from Wayne I think...about him having no arms or legs..floating in Puget Sound...I found out he has taken up Water skiing...and now goes by Skip.

It was enlightening to read some older threads on this site, and I think I found him being discussed on PNW Herps. It seems like he may have crossed a few lines.

As a new guy here, and a new guy to owning snakes, I must confess to some ignorance regarding the ethics and protocol of this hobby. After reading some opinions here, and some of the laws in my state I realize catching snakes with my kids crosses the line. Not as far across the line as gathering as many as I can find and selling them for a profit, but not ok just the same.

With that being said, I do plan on releasing most of the babies back in the wild. Also, most of the snakes we caught were on private property, where the owners, unfortunately, mow over a lot of snakes with their lawnmower. So rescuing them from the private side of the river, and releasing the babies on the other side on more protected land is probably a benefit for the local population.

For whatever all that's worth.....

Andrew

That was well thought out and well said. And I so appreciate you putting some thought, consideration and research into your new found passion. (Trust me, it gets more addictive than you can EVER believe! )

This forum is probably the epitome of forums regarding garters, and even snakes in general. The thought and intelligence bank here is off the chart.

But if the ONLY thing you ever learn here is about Bob, or Skip, and the only thing you ever do is never purchase a snake from him then - in my opinion - our existance has been proven to be more than worthy and/or needed.

It's nice to have. You sound like a good person.
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello