Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Preparing For Third shed" Steven@HumboldtHerps's Avatar

Re: Garter Exchange I

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    If that's what they say, then they're wrong. T. s. infernalis and T. s. tetrataenia are two distinct subspecies.
    I agree. The 3 should be the Mexican, the Giant, and the San Francisco. Please note, however, that the populations of T. s. infernalis (CA Red-sided) in Southern California are also protected by law. Perhaps this was where there was some confusion. It is nice that the CA Dept. of Fish and Game takes individual subspecies into consideration!

So technically, there are a total of 3 protected species, but in detail, one of those species has one completely protected subspecies (tetrataenia) and one subspecies (infernalis) that has locality-based protection.

Steven

In Hog Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HumboldtHerps View Post
    I agree. The 3 should be the Mexican, the Giant, and the San Francisco. Please note, however, that the populations of T. s. infernalis (CA Red-sided) in Southern California are also protected by law. Perhaps this was where there was some confusion. It is nice that the CA Dept. of Fish and Game takes individual subspecies into consideration!

So technically, there are a total of 3 protected species, but in detail, one of those species has one completely protected subspecies (tetrataenia) and one subspecies (infernalis) that has locality-based protection.

Steven
    I'd have to check my notes, but so far I've found three species, I believe species and not subs, that are on the Federal list meaning no can do nuttin' with any of those three.

After that, one must check their local laws and see what applies. Again not checking my notes but using this strictly as an example, if infernalis is not on the Federal list, I - here in MN - may have one or more but you people in CA can't.

I want to say I'm almost positive tetrataenia is on the Federal list. But don't quote me.
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

"Preparing For Third shed" Steven@HumboldtHerps's Avatar

I am embarrassed to say I have not accessed the Federal list, but the species we have mentioned (not ssp.) listed by California Dept of Fish and Game are the same. The State of California adds its own touch with the southern infernalis populations; I think it's great that the state takes a more in depth view (they are after all CA natives!) and goes after protecting sub-specific locality-based populations.