Thread: Brumation help

Hi, I'm New Here!

Question Brumation help

OK... here's an update. Garty's been brumating for three months now, and it seems like he may be losing some weight (I don't have a scale, just guesstimating). Looks like it's probably time to bring him back up to temp and see how things go. His brumation temperature has been a pretty consistent 51F, and he had a complete shed about a month into it.

So... how fast should I bring his temp up? I moved him today to the next coolest location I have, which will probably be in the high 50's (I'll have a better idea tomorrow, when the cage and thermometer equilabrate). How long there, and then what?

Also, is our NW WA natural photoperiod (still short!) going to cause problems? Should I match it with his artificial light or what? And at what point should I re-introduce light during warming (he's still covered at this point)?

Thanks!

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

Re: Brumation help

keep him in the high 50's for a week then maybe put him at like 65-67 for a week him put them in their normal cage and temp
    Quote Originally Posted by Garty View Post
    OK... here's an update. Garty's been brumating for three months now, and it seems like he may be losing some weight (I don't have a scale, just guesstimating). Looks like it's probably time to bring him back up to temp and see how things go. His brumation temperature has been a pretty consistent 51F, and he had a complete shed about a month into it.

So... how fast should I bring his temp up? I moved him today to the next coolest location I have, which will probably be in the high 50's (I'll have a better idea tomorrow, when the cage and thermometer equilabrate). How long there, and then what?

Also, is our NW WA natural photoperiod (still short!) going to cause problems? Should I match it with his artificial light or what? And at what point should I re-introduce light during warming (he's still covered at this point)?

Thanks!
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com