Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Introducing new snake!

Here's a good rule of thumb: If you don't want them to mate, they'll be doing it all day long. If you want them to, the male will be disinterested. Just kidding, but keeping them together is a gamble.

There are things you can do to improve their odds of mating, but they are individuals... some males are good breeders, others aren't. I wish I could offer more definitive advise, but it's definitely a risk... particularily if they're both captive born. There are no guarantees when you're keeping a male and female together.

Any reason why the male might suddenly lose interest in the female?

Thumbs up Re: Introducing new snake!

I´ve posted pictures of the sirtalis in the gallery, but I can´t seem to find that button that copys the pic so I can post it here. Anyways, right before I took the pictures he ate a pinky chopped up in two parts. I take it as a positive sign!

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Hi Christopher,
    Captive born snakes, in particular, are known to be able to reproduce WITHOUT being brumated. I don't know how long yours are, but the youngest snakes that I've read about were siblings that mated at 8 months of age and had a litter one week before the female turned 1-year-old! They didn't brumate and were fed generously with vitamin supplementation. They were T. elegans elegans, and her total length was 599mm when they mated.

Rick
    Well from my experience and what I've heard of most other breeders, this is really an extreme example. I've heard of 2 year old females, but even these cases don't happen that often. Most of the time a male is up and ready at around 2 years, and a female around 3. So I would not guess with 2 year old snakes, but I would certainly not panic with only 1 year olds...

Hans,
    I definitely gave an extreme example, but only to demonstrate what is possible. However, two year old snakes that haven't been brumated are normally sexually mature. It depends on their rate of growth and energy reserves. Again, these are the "youngest snakes that I know of" that have reproduced.

Christopher,
    After you post a picture into the photo gallery, pull it up, and look below it for a button that says, "Copy to Clipboard." Click on that button, then make a new post in the forum. Then click your right mouse button and select "Paste." It will show a web address within your post until you actually submit your message. Afterward, your picture will appear. Have a try,

Rick