Quote Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Elisabeth:
"Eastern" is a very general term for a very broad range of Garter subspecies. If I understand correctly, you got your three Garters 3 months ago. You weren't the breeder so either somebody else bred them for you or they are wild-caught. Either way were you able to confirm a specific locale of origin? That is important. Easterns range from the Canadian province of Ontario to Florida. The latter might brumate 1 month a year while the former might brumate 8 months a year. If you want to provide optimal care you should look into the ancestry of your Garters. Brumation is largely endogenous, and keeping a northern Eastern awake most of the year, or a southern Eastern asleep most of the year, will not bode well for either.
Shoot... im not 100% sure of the Eastern girl’s lineage, but I know the breeders are located in Florida. So I would cautiously assume that she’s a local subspecies. I know she was captive born but not sure if captive bred. I would ask the breeders but they don’t seem to speak English too well and they haven’t even gotten back to me on when her birthday is yet (yes I celebrate my snakes’ birthdays, I’m lame okay ). So I don’t have high hopes of hearing back from them on much of anything. My eastern and my wandering now only seem to be interested in eating once a week, whereas they both used to eat every 3 days. They’re not shedding as often either. So maybe they are just now getting ready to brumate? Or just getting older and not growing as fast...or both? My wandering is a half yearling now and I don’t think my eastern is that much younger, maybe 5 months old.
My Chapala is still eating like a pig with no signs of slowing down.