Hi, I'm New Here!

Introducing WC to CB

I've had a rather friendly WC garter for over and hear now, and he has been doing very well. I am not sure of the sex and this is one of my concerns. I would like to put him in the bigger tank which is much much bigger and currently house my large female garter and her daughter(?). They have also done very well, love the size of the tank and also get along great together. I want to bring the WC one which I believe is clear of any disease of infection and would benefit from the space as he is in a much smaller tank (a 10 gallon) than I would like to keep him in. Any words of wisdom as to if I should introduce them, how I could figure out the sexes of my snakes better, and if I could still house them together even if they are of the opposite sex? They aren't being Brumated or anything but I heard they can sometimes still have offspring even if not Brumated. I'm not really looking to take care of another litter of snakes so I'd like to minimize the chances of pregnancy.

Re: Introducing WC to CB

Are they the same species? There is always a risk of introducing pathogens when you mix. The risk is to both snakes. Garter snakes are breeding machines and don't need brumation to get the job done. The hobby doesn't need hybrids so opposite sexes must be same species. Here's a link to a post that will help you sex your garters. If you would post up some like photos we can help you sex them. I'll also supply a link to the forum care sheet. We'd love to see some photos.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/bree...xing-pics.html

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

They are the same species, just simple eastern garter snakes. They look the same and are all from the same area. And what kind of pictures would help with sexeing?

Quote Originally Posted by muggy2419 View Post
    They are the same species, just simple eastern garter snakes. They look the same and are all from the same area. And what kind of pictures would help with sexeing?
    Underside tail hanging straight down, well lit and focused.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee