Hi, I'm New Here!

How big should it be?

Hello everyone!
    I currently have one male albino checkered. He is a year old and is approx. 22 inches long. Right now, he is in a 10 gallon terrarium. He seems content there as he is very active, out exploring almost all day and night. Because of his activity, I want to get him into a 20 long to give him more room to move and more decorations for him to climb and hide in. However, would a 30 gallon be too large? It would be a blast to decorate and it would give him more than enough room. Would this be too much room though?
    Also side question, if I were to get another snake of the same sex and species, would a 20 long be enough for the two?
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: How big should it be?

I don't think a 30 would be too long. Garter snakes love to explore.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks Steve! Just to be sure, a 30 isn't too long for a lone 2 foot snake, right?
    Also, I can't seem to find a 30 gallon anywhere online. I'm sure a 40 gallon would be overkill, would it?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

I have 4 juveniles in a 29 tall and they love it! I have 20 hanging plants suction cupped to the glass, 2 hides, a branch and a large enough water bowl where they all can fit in it with room to spare. They love to climb and bask on the plants. They are active all day.
    IMO the only way a tank would be too big is for babies because it can stress them and they have trouble finding the food. A 40 would do great for 2 males. I look at it this way, They have all the room in the world in the wild so anything we put them in is technically too small lol

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

The more space you give them really is your decision. I keep my adult female garters in a 28 qt. tub rack system. My males i keep in 15 qt. tubs in a rack system. Certainly if you have a display enclosure and want to expand it that is your choice. Normally, in the wild, garters only come together two times and that's during hibernation and then during breeding. The other consideration with communal housing is normal cleanliness and will you effectively be able to keep a larger enclosure clean enough to keep the snakes healthy and free of potential exposures to excessive waste products. The larger the enclosure the more attention to detail will be required. Just my .02 cents.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I have a male albino checkered born this past spring. He is in a 30 gal. from the start. At six months he is 19 inches long. He has used the extra space right from the beginning. I have two potted plants in there for him to climb up on with coconut fibers, but plan on making it a natural dirt and leave litter soon.

You can't really go too big as long as there's adequate cover and hiding spaces.
    The only way it'd really be a problem is if there was a lack of that which might stress the snake. The outside world is a huge place!