Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Lawn mower injury

Really? I'll definitely check next time I go in! How would frozen filets be? I get tilapia and swai sometimes. (Obviously, it would be the plain ones.) I'm in Missouri. It depends on the year, but by the end of September we could be seeing 50s at night. We probably won't see freezing until November.

We're neighbors, I'm in Iowa (Council Bluffs). I caution the use of anything that is prepackaged and pre-frozen. Sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP) is used in many of these products. Find a grocer with a fresh meat counter and buy from there. Just my opinion.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

You can buy frozen packaged silversides at pet stores, those are a safe fish and they're sold as pet food so they're not loaded with chemicals

With Fall and Winter not far off and this snake far from being healed I would suggest a mid Spring release. That will give this snake time to heal, enjoy some good meals, clean water and the good life for a bit. No predators, less stress and a Winter to relax. This snake might slow its eating down or completely stop eating before Winter sets in but should come out of that quick enough. Looks like you've got a T. radix - Plains Garter there, awesome species that adjusts well to captivity as a rule. T. radix rule in my book but I am just a bit partial to the species.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Ok, if I feed fish I'll probably just check at Petsmart for safe feeder fish. I think I'll try worm scented pinkies next, though.

I do think I may end up keeping him over the winter. If he's not totally healed before it starts into fall, I will. Part of me wants to keep him permanently! He's a cool little snake. I was thinking T. radix, too. He's usually out to see what's going on, and he has nice colors. He's scabbing over now, and he ate 2 more worms today. I added some pictures from yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Nice job! Congrats. Keep up the good work. Be careful with the heat pad being on and unregulated by a rheostat. The heat mat can get pretty hot. Consider using betadine on the injuries also. Try to moisten a paper towel with water first them a couple of drops of betadine onto the paper towel then gently wipe over the wounds making sure to get the betadine onto the wounds. It may be safer to dab the areas.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 08-17-2016 at 05:56 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Ok, if I feed fish I'll probably just check at Petsmart for safe feeder fish. I think I'll try worm scented pinkies next, though.

I do think I may end up keeping him over the winter. If he's not totally healed before it starts into fall, I will. Part of me wants to keep him permanently! He's a cool little snake. I was thinking T. radix, too. He's usually out to see what's going on, and he has nice colors. He's scabbing over now, and he ate 2 more worms today. I added some pictures from yesterday.
    Don't buy any rosy reds(minnows) or goldfish. Both those fish have many strikes against them, low nutrition, parasites and Thiaminase.
    Guppies, Mollies and Gambusia are safe in that Thiaminase isn't an issue. Sallies Silversides is a good fish to feed. They come pre-frozen and are safe. Frozen/thawed pinkies are relished by T. radix and are a good source of nutrition.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Nice job! Congrats. Keep up the good work. Be careful with the heat pad being on and unregulated by a rheostat. The heat mat can get pretty hot. Consider using betadine on the injuries also. Try to moisten a paper towel with water first them a couple of drops of betadine onto the paper towel then gently wipe over the wounds making sure to get the betadine onto the wounds. It may be safer to dab the areas.
    Thanks! I put some cardboard under the ends of the tank to raise it up. I just slid the UTH under it, so it's not actually touching the glass. I keep an eye on it with a thermometer, but it seems to be Ok. I will get another rheostat as soon as I can.

I've been letting him dry for about a week, but I did clean him Saturday night because he looked a little stiff at his injury closer to his tail. I gently wiped him with diluted Betadine on a cotton ball, and covered the wounds with ointment to help moisturize them. He's really doing very well. His wounds are drying and look like they're getting smaller. He loves to eat, and is still very active.

We've had a few nights that feel like fall, getting into the 50's and lower 60's already. I think I've got a snake for the winter. I'll set him up with nicer bedding and hides after he's further into healing.

At this point and the location of the injuries I think you should stop the ointment. That natural bandage should do fine as long as your keep the enclose clean (I know you do). Nature can take over now. If this wound was lower on the body I'd say continue the treatment. Just my opinion.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Hi, I'm New Here!

I am keeping him pretty dry, but I keep a close eye on him because his scabs do crack. I can't wait until I can switch to aspen bedding. Paper towels are very boring.

He took a f/t fuzzy today! Pinkies are smaller than I remembered... He didn't know what to do with it at first, but he figured it out. You can see his stomach lump in the picture. It seems like we are good to go!

*Edit: The white in the injury picture is not bone. It's dry scab/skin that's white for some reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images