"First shed In Progress"

Interspecific Communal Housing?

So I have a radix and a sirtalis which are separated currently. I am just curious if anyone has any experience keeping them both together in an enclosure or is that generally a bad idea? I understand the whole size difference issue but is their any other issues that might occur if I do this?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Re: Interspecific Communal Housing?

As long as they're both the same sex and the size difference isn't too big you should be fine. Just keep a careful eye on them, especially during feeding time. You may want to separate one for feeding, especially until you get used to how they act around each other. Make sure they don't have any food residue on them/smell like food after a feeding too. You just don't want a food fight to break out because you don't know how they'll react around food when there's another snake around.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"Third shed In Progress"

I have a radix, marcianus, 2 sirtalis and a concinnus together, all adult males and have no issues I just have to watch feeding time since they all go crazy for food.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

i keep a adult female eastern with a adult female radix with no issues. both are pretty calm and not too aggressive during feeding. the eastern wont eat with me around so i feed the radix first then leave food in for the eastern. like others have said just make sure they are the same sex. you dont want a litter of hybrids lol also ive never had an issue with keeping different sized garters together but i always fed them separately cause my adult females eat hoppers and anything under 20 inches get pinkies.

"First shed In Progress"

Sounds good! Thank you