Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Re: Melanistic garter slow growth

I don't think that was a snake that I produced,was it? You didn't contact me recently so I assume it wasn't one of my babies unless it was a secondary sale.
    I would say that if it is eating and has survived almost a year, that there is nothing wrong with it. A lot of snakes don't eat in the winter even if it is their first winter and kept warm. Babies from a litter all grow at different rates and bigger and fatter is not necessarily healthier. Some snakes are picky feeders their whole lives. Some of my pickiest eaters are good breeders and some of my chow hogs are not. He may end up being your best breeder and live a long fruitful, healthy life. I would not be concerned, as long as he isn't super skinny, which he didn't look in the picture.

Juvenile snake

No Jeff it is definitely not an animal I got from you. Thanks for your input, it is always appreciated.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Also, food for thought: The litter of granites (two granites and one pastel) born back in June 2015 of which the runt was part of was from a sub adult parent. The dam was a 8 mos. old who really was too young to be bred. That runt continues to feed and thrive but has a slow growth metabolism. I just wonder if he will be that way for life? I suspect he will.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.