Hi, I'm New Here!

Converting to fish

I purchased six 2-3 month old garters that had been eating a mix of chopped earthworms and pinky parts. I'd like to convert them to live fish. I have a large number of disease-free guppies of all ages. So far, after 4 days they've shown no interest in the fish. I put a few sizes into their bowl and have released the garters into the bowl after handling them. I'm wondering what size/age guppy might best temp them and if I should try to mix a dead fish into chopped worms (though I'd rather have them take live fish). When I got them, I was under the impression that they would prefer fish over mice and that they would readily take to them. I'm sure they haven't eaten in over a week.

I'd like opinions on whether they are likely to eat fish after more time goes by or if it's better to start the mixing of fish with worms or something similar. I have small pinkies on hand if that is needed.
    -------------
    Steve

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Converting to fish

Hi and welcome to the forum! Most of the time when snakes refuse to eat it's bc one of two (actually three) reasons. The animal is living under less than optimal conditions due to husbandry issues. The animal is ill or the animal is breeding. So, husbandry , I think would include acclimating to a new enviornment also. You mentioned that it's been four days? Does that mean you have had them for 4 days as in recently purchased or 4 days since they have eaten ? Ok, I see where you mentioned they haven't eaten in a week. What size enclosure are they in? Are they all living together? If so, they may be stressed right now. How were they being housed by the person you purchased them from might shed some light on why they are not interested in the fish. For now I would focus on my husbandry and set up and begin tweaking that to start. Good luck. Keep us posted. Remember also young snakes love to hide as do mostly all snakes so maybe add a extra hide or hides. When they are used to certain foods it may be a while b4 they accept something different too.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Mix in the fish with the pinky/worm mixture. Slowly reduce the amount of the other but I'm not sure why you would want to do that. Pinkies and worms are great foods and if you can get them taking fish on top of the other two items I'd say the is a good and varied diet.
    4 days not eating is nothing to worry about.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Mix in the fish with the pinky/worm mixture. Slowly reduce the amount of the other but I'm not sure why you would want to do that. Pinkies and worms are great foods and if you can get them taking fish on top of the other two items I'd say the is a good and varied diet.
    4 days not eating is nothing to worry about.
    Even better. Great recommendation Steve. More appropriate approach.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I got if figured out. I switched to a clear glass bowl that was a bit more shallow. The clear glass is less secure for the fish, so they started swimming around instead of just sitting there. As soon as the snakes saw the fish swimming, they went into predator mode and are now trying to catch the fish. Doesn't look like I'll have any trouble getting them to eat in the short term.
    -------------
    Steve

Swimming fish drive Thamnophis crazy.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Preparing For Third shed" Rushthezeppelin's Avatar

Ya seeing the movement can certainly help. Colubrids in general are mostly very visually oriented snakes (especially since they don't have heat pit predator vision like pit vipers do).

Hi, I'm New Here!

Movement has helped a lot with getting their attention, but they are not very good at catching the fish at this stage. They have all caught one, but it took each many tries before they succeeded. I think the female guppies may be too fast. I'll have to add some larger males with bigger tails that slow them down, at least until they perfect their technique.
    -------------
    Steve

"Preparing For Third shed" Rushthezeppelin's Avatar

That's as good as they get at catching fish man. They really are horrible at it lol. At least they are cold blooded though so they don't use as much calories as a warm blooded animal with the same amount of movement. Best thing that helps them is having a bigger school in the bowl at once so it's like sharks with a bait ball....they are bound to get one just plowing into the bait ball with their mouths open.