Thoughts on Deformities

If an animal as a female has a deformity, kinked tail or crooked spine, maybe as she grew she got masses forming on her (cancer?). Would this automatically exclude her from breeding, I should ask, should it because these are things that will be passed to her offspring? Or do deformity in an animal only effect said animal and the offspring would be fine? Do animals with a deformity make for an okay pet, but not an okay breeder because of the possible risks to the next generation? Just random stuff in my head I thought I would put out there. Would it depend on what the deformity is because some are no big deal (visual) and some would be an issue (life threatening)?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Thoughts on Deformities

Great question, and I think it would have to be considered on a case by case basis. Of course some deformities in animals will have a more debilitating effect on the quality of life while others may not. Especially as it relates to reproduction. Some animals will be more endeared bc they are animals that you produced personally.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Juvenile snake

I would say that unless you are 100% sure the deformity was not a genetic mutation it is irresponsible to breed the animal. Things like cancer can be linked to genetics even if they form later in life. In most cases it is safer not to breed the animal as the connection to genetics is not entirely understood.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I'd probably stay away from breeding an animal with a deformity like what you described. If it was something really minor like a tiny kink near the end of the tail that never turned into anything else you'd probably be okay, but if it starts to develop into tumors or what looks almost like rheumatoid arthritis that would probably be a bad idea.

I think the exception would be if that animal had a gene that it was very important to pass on; like if she was one of only a few animals in the country that had a certain trait. I'm thinking mainly of things like new morphs or morphs that have only been in the hobby for a very short period of time. Then it might be worth breeding her, but in that case I think you should mention the potential genetic problem to any buyers so they would be aware of it and look for signs that the offspring had inherited it before breeding. If it did turn out to be genetic I think breeding beyond that point would be irresponsible, but in cases like what I just mentioned I think breeding at least one generation to test whether it's genetic might be worthwhile.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis