Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: My venomous Garter... total resemblance!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    That just goes to show that , just because you get your books or papers published and reviewed, your facts and info can still be wrong. People need to do their own research and check and prove their facts personally. How many times has science changed what it has said was a fact.
    Conservation Through Education
    www.jerrythesnakeman.com

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

If you read through his article he uses venom and venomous so he knows.he may have just used the words poison in there for the people that didn't know anything about herps so that they would understand. When you write an article you try to make it where everyone understands. All the old timers i know say poisonous snakes lol! Before herps gained so much in popularity alot of people called venomous snakes poisonous because they didn't know any better they just knew if you got bit you either got sick or died so they called them poisonous, lol! How can you say his article is wrong though based on that one statement?
    Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakes View Post
    that just goes to show that , just because you get your books or papers published and reviewed, your facts and info can still be wrong. People need to do their own research and check and prove their facts personally. How many times has science changed what it has said was a fact.
    Bluesirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
    That just goes to show that , just because you get your books or papers published and reviewed, your facts and info can still be wrong. People need to do their own research and check and prove their facts personally. How many times has science changed what it has said was a fact.

I think you're correct, people make mistakes.
    I know of a new field herping guide that was just published, it contains at least 1 error. It happens and body of this person's work clearly out shines this 1 error.
    The body of Mr. Kardong's work(spanning 40 years) has benefited the reptile community far more then his choice to us the word "poisonous" in place of "venomous"

http://public.wsu.edu/~kkardong/Web%..._06b/index.htm

New Page 1(publication)
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

She is a beautiful snake. I would love to work with venomous snakes one day...when my son is older and out of the house. As some of you may know, I wrote a research paper on venom in medicine two years ago...it's on the forum somewhere. Would like to publish someday. The article will probably get a lot more attention in the medical community after I get my license...hope to educate more of the medical field on the benefits of venom in the treatment of disease.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I think you're correct, people make mistakes.
    I know of a new field herping guide that was just published, it contains at least 1 error. It happens and body of this person's work clearly out shines this 1 error.
    The body of Mr. Kardong's work(spanning 40 years) has benefited the reptile community far more then his choice to us the word "poisonous" in place of "venomous"

http://public.wsu.edu/~kkardong/Web%..._06b/index.htm

New Page 1(publication)
    I'm not saying that because he used the word poisonous instead of venomous he is totally wrong. But as I read the article I find him using words like "probably" and "I propose". These are words indicating he does not have facts to back up what he is proposing. I'm not looking to argue the point, but there is no real proven facts to back up any of this, only speculation.
    www.jerrythesnakeman.com

Okay, I'm certainly not looking for an argument either.
    The way I read your post I felt his reputation was in question and responded to that.
    No disrespect intended.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Okay, I'm certainly not looking for an argument either.
    The way I read your post I felt his reputation was in question and responded to that.
    No disrespect intended.
    As I have said before, no problem, all is good. It is nice o have a friendly debate without insults. This way everyone's points get made and maybe something positive comes out of it. We all need to look at every point with an open mind, but we don't always have to agree with it.
    www.jerrythesnakeman.com

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Muslim1 View Post
    Bot small to be tailing really, though it can be done. Cute little things though I prefer colubrids myself to hots.
    Was it you handling or was you on the safer end taking photo?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muslim1 View Post
    Interesting snake. Are those your fingers in the background? Do you have it out on the carpet very often? If you do you're a braver man than me...

Edit - Oops, I just replied to the first post in the thread without realising that someone else had already asked more or less the same as me.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia