Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: New To Garter Snakes

You're certainly correct about the pooping. Although it hasn't eaten yet, in my care, it certainly has pooped a couple times & drug it's dirty vent over one hide & the edge of the water dish! I'm guessing it should begin to take food soon, as it gets used to it's new surroundings. I have a tub of Earthworms in the fridge & some guppies in a bowl. I'm guessing since there was no body of water around it was either eating insects, worms or small mice so, maybe the next offering will be a small mouse. Not a hopper, as that would be too small.

No insects, not on the menu for garters.
    I personally would stay away from any fur bearing mice. Much less of a chance for impaction. I lost a couple wonderful snakes to this. Now, I only feed pinkies to my garters no matter how big the snake is.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

in answer to your sexing question, this thread is really useful..
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/bree...xing-pics.html
    Inge
    our house is like a zoo, too many to list here!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Given all the information about the snake I found, I decided to let her go but, I relocated her to an area that will give her MANY more opportunities towards a long, prosperous life vs where I found her. I have enough to deal with right now, with my Ball Pythons. It was a educational experience that I'm glad I stumbled upon. I learned a bit about garter snakes & hopefully put this girl in a better position than she was already in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Given all the information about the snake I found, I decided to let her go but, I relocated her to an area that will give her MANY more opportunities towards a long, prosperous life vs where I found her. I have enough to deal with right now, with my Ball Pythons. It was a educational experience that I'm glad I stumbled upon. I learned a bit about garter snakes & hopefully put this girl in a better position than she was already in.
    Garter snakes are a very special snake. Overlooked by many in the snake hobby as a garbage snake, not worthy to be kept. Those of us that know the truth are glad these special snakes aren't as popular. I've always said they are the best kept secret in the snake hobby. I'm glad you had the opportunity to help her out.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

I felt it was in her best interest, as I'm not as versed as I should be, to have kept her. (without stressing us both out). Thought about her, these last two nights, hoping she found a secure burrow. She was born wild, survived to adult hood so, I rest better knowing I gave her, her best chance at success. I certainly don't consider any animal a waste animal. They all deserve a chance & I feel proud that I got a chance to get to know her and her kind (Garters), even if for a short while. I'm sure it won't be my last, but it will be when I'm better prepared for more,than I was this time. Thank you all for your assistance!