Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: (Distant) future snake owner here... hi!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of interesting vivariums people have set up-- as an aquarist I'm used to seeing "natural" (heavily planted) enclosures, and it seems odd to me that (from what I've read so far) planted vivariums are seen as not worth it when the inhabitant is just going to smear waste everywhere. I've browsed a few threads, does anyone have any examples that stand out as noteworthy?

Aquatic biology was a symptom of keeping aquariums-- I like fish and plants and invertebrates that live in water so much that it only seems logical that I pursue a degree in it, especially since Texas State has a really amazing undergraduate program.

Yes, I have heard about the dredging, even though I tend to only concern myself with freshwater happenings. It's still sad.

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishmostly View Post
    I've found that most online communities are, but that doesn't seem to take away that rush of uncertainty when one first introduces oneself. So, what is there to do for non-snake owners? It's not like I can offer any advice (unless someone needs help with planted aquariums! I'm great at those!) as I've only even held a snake a handful of times.
    ive always had fish tanks. but i got big fat 8inch fancy goldfish(dirty pigs) and i can plant live plants they eat them and rip them up like i pissed them off. PM me if you got any questions you dont wanna ask out "loud" yet maybe i can help. or PM me with any planted tank advice. Thnx hun
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

Welcome
    Dan

Welcome to the forum!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

"Third shed, A Success" aquamentus_11's Avatar

welcome. i believe that some of the mexican subspecies (blackbellied?) tend to be much more on the aquatic side of semi-aquatic. might be right up your alley. i forget who was working with them though.

p.s. i agree...freshwater is much cooler. (< great lakes shout out)
    Nate

1.0 Battlecat- Ted

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Welcome aboard.

I have a community tank (just a small 180 litre tank) that used to be heavily planted, when I moved house I decided to remove most of the plants and have had problems with algae ever since. Now I need time to get it planted up again...

You want to do a search for some of the outdoor enclosures that some of the Dutch and German keepers have, they are an interesting way to keep garters.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Quote Originally Posted by aquamentus_11 View Post
    welcome. i believe that some of the mexican subspecies (blackbellied?) tend to be much more on the aquatic side of semi-aquatic. might be right up your alley. i forget who was working with them though.
    Thanks, I'll have to look into them! Not sure how different the enclosures would be though, would I get to have an actual, filtered "pool"? A little stream would be nice, although the enclosure would have to be huge.

p.s. i agree...freshwater is much cooler. (< great lakes shout out)
    Heck yeah! The worst part is when people tell me that I want to be a marine biologist.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

One if my michigan species, t. Butlerii does great in a naturalistic vivarium w moist soil filled w native Isopoda and springtails. They are tough little snakes who have a high natural resistance to scale rot.

id hesitate to put larger species in a bio-active habitat as it would have to be pretty big, and big snake poops would take days to get cleaned up by the crew. My checkered is also a lot more susceptible to scale rot- he wouldn't handle moist substrate well.

I suck with keeping fish lol
    0.1 Lampropeltis getula nigritus | 0.1Eublepharis macularius
    | 0.1 Thamnophis marcianus

Kyle

Welcome to the forum!
    mike