Hi, I'm New Here!

is it too late to release a garter snake outside?

Hi, I found a garter snake about a month ago and it was getting attacked by my neighbors cat. So I picked up the snake and kept him indoors inside an indoor cage. The cat punctured the tail but the wound healed, it has been eating about 1 pinky mouse every 7- 10 days.

But I fear that it is now too late for him (or her) to find a hibernation spot for the winter because the temp has gone down alot, and its much colder outside now then it was when I found it. For example the average daytime temp (last month) was arround 80 - 90, and the average night temp was arround 70. Now the average daytime temp is arround 50-70 and some nights it hits the 40's . (I live in centeral Massachusetts). Plus the past 4 or 5 days it has rained nearly every day.

So would it be best to keep the snake indoors for the winter or would it still have time to find a place to live for the winter if I released it back into the wild?

Re: is it too late to release a garter snake outside?

If you can still find other snakes out, it's not too late.

Stefan's suggestion is solid but it is your final call. You need to consider the snakes overall health(weight). If it seems low(skinny) it might be better to keep it over the Winter. I say this because 1 pinky ever 7-10 days seems a little lean on the food.
    Don't forget to introduce yourself in the welcome lounge.

Welcome Lounge
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    If you can still find other snakes out, it's not too late.
    True. Do it on a day and time of day when you find snakes out. Find snakes out as close as possible to where you found it and release it there where you see other snakes. The snake will either know how to find the den he used before or the other snakes will lead him to one.