Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Newborn Snake help

Two months later, let them go.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Alright, we'll let them go tonight. Thank you
    Huzzah for snakies.... now if only i had more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flickerfriend View Post
    Okay, it's been two days since they were born, and still they haven't eaten, should I be worried?
    Oh heck no. Worry when it's been two months. I could have told you they won't eat that soon. It's a waste of time to even try. They just got done absorbing significant yolk reserves. Enough to nourish them for a month or more.

Do they look like they're getting thin? do they seem week? Some northwestern babies hold out until spring to eat. In other words they are waiting for a big cool down so keeping them at around 50 F degrees for a couple of months, then warming back up, usually works and then they'll start eating.

If you release any, make sure you do it where mom was found, on a day warm enough for snakes to be active.

Quote Originally Posted by flickerfriend View Post
    Alright, about two monthes later, still, only one eater (and I managed to lose track of which one it was), and, t top it all off, the light broke -.-
    They do have a warmer, but it's not very great. Finally I came up with a temporary solution while we get a replacement bulb, baths! I put warm water in their bowl, put plastic containers with hot water and lids throughout the cage, and they're all over it
    I've also offered worms during this time.
    But because it's been so long and they haven't eaten, should I just let them go? I really don't want to, but I'd rather have them be free then have them die
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Oh heck no. Worry when it's been two months. I could have told you they won't eat that soon. It's a waste of time to even try. They just got done absorbing significant yolk reserves. Enough to nourish them for a month or more.

Do they look like they're getting thin? do they seem week? Some northwestern babies hold out until spring to eat. In other words they are waiting for a big cool down so keeping them at around 50 F degrees for a couple of months, then warming back up, usually works and then they'll start eating.

If you release any, make sure you do it where mom was found, on a day warm enough for snakes to be active.
    It's been 2 months, Richard.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Probably is best to let them go as long as you do it where mom was found. This time of year the wild northwesterns leave scent trails leading to overwintering shelter. Even saw some engaged in fall mating a few days ago. The babies will pick up the trail and it will lead them to a safe place to spend the winter.