Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Never shed

Re: Suddenly- Babies!

Quick update:
    Offered them some chopped food a few times- a little interest but no one ate. Bought some guppies today, and while they wouldn't hunt for it, when I dropped the fish in front of them and it flopped around- instant feed reaction! Every single one ate at least two guppies. Yay!

Guppy magic at work again. It's amazing what a little flopping fish will do to them. You can also add some worm chunks to the guppies, when they strike and miss they will get a chunk of worm instead. It's a great way to introduce another food item.
    Glad to hear the little scrubs are eating.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Congrats! Babies are so fun! So sorry to hear about your male passing...nice time for mama snake to give you some scrubby gifts to cheer you up. I don't want to be a downer here, but I would be somewhat concerned about the fungal infection spreading to the babies...does anyone else think this should be a concern?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Never shed

I too am concerned about the babies ending up with it as well, which is why I moved them to a different take immediately, even though I didn't have a good one ready for them (I do know, though). I'm keeping a very close eye on them, checking all of them every day for any sign of the infection- so far there hasn't been anything, and we're keeping our fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Well that sounds like the best you can do for now. Hopefully they will all be okay
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Never shed

Another Update:
    No sign of fungal infection- so hoping everything is going well. Got a nice tank set up for them, couple of large rocks, a 'wading pool,' some fake plants (that they constantly climb and sleep in- they seem to be confused about what kind of snake they are), good temperature gradient, and plenty of places to hide. They are all eating really well, and all of them have taken frozen from my hand at least once, if not more. Looks like I have a great batch of babies here!
    Question, though: They are growing pretty rapidly, but when can I expect them to shed?

Could be any day now. Well fed scrubs can grow and shed quite often.
    It's really important you inspect the sheds to be sure the eye caps and tails have completely shed.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

The scrubs that I've had before all shed after the third feeding- I'm not concerned yet, but these guys just don't seem inclined to shed anytime soon.
    And yes- I will be checking each and every one of them post-shed. ^^

I do have one that I'm getting concerned about. He's my runt, and he seems to actually be afraid of water. He won't go near the water dish, won't make the attempt to hunt in the water, and is showing signs of dehydration. I can get him to drink some if I spray the side of the tank- and I change the water in the dish daily. Any suggestions? He's also my only 'problem' eater, in that he will only take a few pieces of food after much coaxing- we're down to ten minutes, but his first round took an hour to get him to eat. I think he's just going to end up my special needs baby.

Quote Originally Posted by ThamGirl View Post
    Quick update:
    Offered them some chopped food a few times- a little interest but no one ate. Bought some guppies today, and while they wouldn't hunt for it, when I dropped the fish in front of them and it flopped around- instant feed reaction! Every single one ate at least two guppies. Yay!
    Haha!! Nice! I tried this with Suzi... when I dropped a Zebra Danio on the ground... she picked it up and put it back in the water and saved the fish's life lol!
    Jonathan
    0.1 Parietalis - Suzi
    0.1 T.Radix - Xena
    My Public Photobucket