Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Hi, I'm New Here!

Talking Hello

Hello everyone,

I am not a snake owner nor have I ever been, but I plan to change that and I have fallen for garter snakes. So I figured I would introduce myself. I seen this forum on a Youtube channel so I thought I would sign up and get to know people and try to learn a little about garter snakes before I got one.

Nice to meet anyone ahead of time.
    -N

Re: Hello

Welcome aboard.

Nice to have you with us. You've come to the right place. Before you get a garter the care sheet will be a great read. Ask all the questions you want.

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you guys.

Steve that is great, thank you. Lots of info on that. Now I just need a snake. I have two heat lamps and a 10 (I think its 10 gallon) tank, and I am hoping that will be big enough. The reason I wanted to get a garter snake is that I read they can eat non-rodent diets. I raise night crawlers, red worms, meal worms, and super worms. And just started crickets about a week ago. Sad to see that these are not listed except for the night crawlers but I was planning on getting fish to feed as well. If you don't mind would you take a jab at afew questions I have...

Firstly do Garter snakes smell bad? I have heard that they release something that smells bad, and I know this is more of a defensive mech. but do they in general stink?

Can you feed garter snakes goldfish?

Will garter snakes outgrow their habitat?

Would a 10 gallon tank be big enough?

That's about it for now but I know I have another few questions in the back of my brain.

Thanks.
    -ASF

Hi, I'm New Here!

Nevermind on the goldfish question. I was just reading through the care sheet and it says goldfish are a no-no.

#1 If they musk you it will smell bad or musk the inside of the enclosure. With that being said once a snake calms down and begins to trust you they don't need to musk.
    In general I would say no. Using the right substrate make a big difference. Spot cleaning poo is also away to avoid any smells.

#2 "Skipped" at your request.

#3Yes and no. Depends on the species. A 10 gal. would be great for a baby but not for anything bigger. Garter like to explore so giving them lots of room is a plus for you and your snake. Keeps your snake busy and not standing on street corners hanging out with the dodgy snake in the neighborhood. Eating goldfish and minnows out in the public. Stealing worm money from the little scrubs as they pass by. That sort of thing.

#4 "Covered in answer 3"
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks Steve. I may be getting a bigger tank but money is super tight in my household so I can't do anything right now. I don't even have a snake yet so I guess it's not too much of a concern.

I have been doing some research on garter snakes and came across a "flame" garter snake. Man those things are so dang cool. I can imagine they're pretty pricey though. Do you have any idea how much one of those might go for?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Small species like nortwesterns and butlers garters can be happy in a well decorated 10 gallon, but more space is appreciated.
    Larger and more easily found species like checkered, radix and easterns will outgrow 10gal in a year or so, but are generally easier to keep.

Flames are a selected color strain of eastern garters- price depends on age, degree of color, and breeder reputation. A well bred snake with known parentage is more likely to develop the promised coloration.
    Welcome!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks Selkielass. Would you guys recommend a 20 gal or bigger? I may have a 20 gal. tank coming into my possession soon.

Hello. I have no idea about the size of tanks when you talk in gallons but I know the bigger the better as they are such active little beasts. It will also depend a little on the species you want to keep. If your skint and go for a second hand wooden viv don't forget to treat it for mites.

I think if you want to breed fish your well of breeding mollies and platys as well as guppies. All breed easily and mollies and platys get to a good size so you have a nice choice of size. Saying this snakes brought up on a fish and worm diet needing feeding more frequently than pinkie feeders and the poop is more offensive. I honestly think no snake enclosure should smell though as waste should be removed daily when seen. That was a big concern of my hubby's who had several friends who kept snakes all of which smelt. One evening he said to me "it's amazing they don't smell". I keep 10 snakes in one room with not a hint of smell.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get all the info you need of some of the wonderful members.