Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basking Light

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Re: Basking Light

How big is the setup? Is there going to be a decent temp gradient between the two sides?

75 watt is a lot. I use 60 watt with a dimmer switch so I can turn them on half way. Heat can kill quick so error on the side of caution.
    1.1 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (Flame and Albino Flame)
    5.2 Canines

"First shed In Progress"

It is a 20 gallon with a good temperature gradient... I switched from a 75 to a much lower wattage I don't have it in front of me right me though. I like it is a 40 or 50 and I will have it on for almost all day so I think that will work out better then the 75.

I use a 20 gal as well for both of my setups, the basking lamps with the dimmer are probably the best bet, but also remember any objects directly under the light will absorb radiant heat from the light as well, thus making the physical object much warmer then the ambient air temperature.

Best bet is to get a dimmer, or use a heating pad with a thermostat and control the warm end with that, then use a weaker 40w just for lighting. I run a T8 25 uvb and an incandescent 40w uva with a heating pad and thermostat, it works well but its all about what you want to spend or can do for them.

This is how mine looks tho for kind of reference.... yellow things on the wall are digital thermometers
    Jonathan
    0.1 Parietalis - Suzi
    0.1 T.Radix - Xena
    My Public Photobucket

"First shed In Progress"

Mine looks similar to that but I don't use a UVB. Should I for garters I have never really seen anything saying a definite yes or no on the subject?

Its all up to you UVB is supposed to help them metabolize calcium although I'm not entirely sure it helps that much I still use one.

Here is an interesting read in PDF
    The effects of ultraviolet radiation on the skin lipids of garter snakes

here as an old thread to look through as well
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...um-snakes.html

I just prefer to use it, I should get just a plain T8 bulb without any uv and see if that makes a difference on her behavior, She does however love that UVA light, and that just helps provied visual signals and promote natural behavior, and she acts just as she should flighty, and loves to hide and spy on me lol
    Jonathan
    0.1 Parietalis - Suzi
    0.1 T.Radix - Xena
    My Public Photobucket

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martinz21 View Post
    Mine looks similar to that but I don't use a UVB. Should I for garters I have never really seen anything saying a definite yes or no on the subject?
    I also use a ReptiSun 10 UVB (with UVA) light. Seems it may not be required for them to metabolize Vitamin D but some believe the full spectrum light is better for them psychologically as the colors in their environment "look" the way they are supposed too.

Humans see three colors - red, green, and blue. Reptiles see these colors as well, but they can also see UVA wavelength light between 320 and 400 nm. This allows them to see colors and patterns in ways that humans can't.

Seeing UV light allows them to recognize other reptiles of their same species and detect movement. It also stimulates appetite by making food more appealing. The presence of UVA light promotes proper foraging, feeding, digestion, activity levels, social behavior, reproduction, and basking.

Using artificial lights that have been designed for humans or lights that do not provide full spectrum light deprives reptiles of UVA light and causes serious behavioral, physiological, and health issues. Lack of UVA light impairs their ability to interact with their environment and other animals within it, causing unnecessary stress and affecting their overall well-being.

Reptile Habitat Lighting: The Importance of UV Lighting for Reptiles
    1.1 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (Flame and Albino Flame)
    5.2 Canines

"First shed In Progress"

The light I got the box says it does give off full spectrum UV light and the bulb is made by ZooMed specifically for reptiles