Thread: truth or myth?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Question truth or myth?

So I bought a snake corn snake the other day, and the guy started telling me the:
    'my friend had a big snake and it stretched out alongside her, the vet said it was sizing her up to eat her' story.

I have heard this from soooooo many people, I am going to scream if I hear this story again!! It is always 'my sisters boyfriends mum or cousin' or something,

I always thought that if this happened the snake was just maximizing getting heat from your body, or am I the stupid one and is there any truth to these stories?

Inge
    our house is like a zoo, too many to list here!

Re: truth or myth?

That's got to be poop. It makes no sense and I would imagine it would just be gaining heat. Also I find the image of someone having a little lie down while their constrictor is out rather odd. Did the lass get it out for some exercise then decide to lay down and do some crunches or something I smell bulls***

"Third shed, A Success" ScimitarX's Avatar

I get told that story at least 3 times a week at work, there is definitely no truth to it. Just have to laugh at anyone who brings it up now
    Claire

Adult snake

Most constrictors are ambush predators... the only "sizing up" they do is with their eyes and tongue.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

My X spouted that to me once. If the snake took time to do that it would get killed or the prey would get away.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

It's horse****, don't waste another thought on it. People who repeat that story need to be told that it is horse****.

Loada bollocks
    Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Cool, I always thought so, but wondered if people are actually being told this by the vets, its always someone they know... even my sister tried telling me!! lol
    Inge
    our house is like a zoo, too many to list here!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHedgehog View Post
    Cool, I always thought so, but wondered if people are actually being told this by the vets, its always someone they know... even my sister tried telling me!! lol
    Telling you that the vet told my friend's mum's second cousin's window cleaner that the constrictor was sizing up the said window cleaner while he slept is just part of making the bull smell a bit less ******.
    The story has even made it into court cases, some snake thief in Coventry claimed in court that the stolen boa he was caught with (apparently some Irish pikies pulled up outside his house the night before and sold him a snake...) had been sizing up his drunk sleeping mate when he woke up, the thief was apparently a hero because he saved his friend from certain death. I didn't see whether he was found guilty of stealing the boa.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

When someone you know is in danger of being eaten, it's always recommended that you remove the dangerous animal without first waking your friend.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis