Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Re: Lets experiment!

Made the rounds today, and all the hides were empty. (5 baited 3 natural.)
    Saw two snakes on my walk- a feisty reddish colored male eastern who did a wonderful impersonation of a viper when I invaded his space.
    Later I came across the old one eyed T. Butlerii near the meadow for the third time -heand wasn't the doing g nearly so well today. He was cold struck and burrowed into the warmth of my sleeve as if he recognized me.

I let him soak up some warm, and checked him over before I came home- he is starting to look dehydrated and skinny, so I brought him home for a good drink, which he went for eagerly.

The female I found yesterday is looking good. The sand fell off her belly and tail wounds after a good long soak, and today she is feeling well enough to move from cool spot to warm hide. Worms are on the menu this afternoon. I hope both guests will eat.

Ellen's Wild Thamnophis Rehab.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

The molecules involved in attracting males are not stable. I would think that the effectiveness of already excreted scent wears off rather quickly. If it didn't you would have males trying to mate with sticks and rocks just because a female had been there a few days ago or trying to follow girls that were there days ahead of them. You just don't see that happening. It has to be very fresh, and from a receptive female. There's only a short window of time when a female puts out sex attractant. Unless you happen to have a receptive female and go out there spreading her scent every single day while she's still receptive, I doubt anything will happen.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Morning update.
    'Nick Fury' went into the dressing room (quarantine cage) and came out Samuel Jackson!
    His eyes are both beautiful, and he's beautiful a big charismatic fella. No interest in food, but plenty of curiosity about everything else.
    Sunny, the belly and tail injured female seems to have eaten a worm last night, yay! Her I.juries will get checked later for infection, but right now I'll let her digest.

The big problem this spring seems to be water. We have had no rain since the last snow melted, the wet meadow and vernal ponds are dry, and even the deep ditch has only a little water at the bottom. Both sunny and sally were found.d in hollows that, in a normal year would be filled with water. No water, few worms, no tadpoles or crayfish.
    Sad snakes.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Sounds like a good idea. I've been dumping the bedding and sheds in my garden, hoping to see some garters hanging out back soon.