Hybrid View

Re: DIY Re-purposed up-cycled enclosures

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    You can water proof wooden vivs with pond paint,Polycarbonate sheets ect

There are no native snake mites so only way they'd show up is if you in
    bought an infested snake
    or bag of bedding.

Here's some great books on Terrariums

Natural Terrariums (Complete Herp Care Series): Amazon.co.uk: Philip Purser: Books

The Art of Keeping Snakes Herpetocultural Library: Amazon.co.uk: Philippe De Vosjoli: Books

Garters and pretty much all herps sold in captivity do make excellent subjects for Naturalistic Vivs.They have so many advantages over sterile set-ups (not only for the animal but for you as well )
    Thanks I will have a look. The reason I'm a bit ocd about it is that I did end up getting an infested snake and although I managed to control the situation it bugs me, excuse the pun. Hubby also had several friends that kept snakes and they all smelled and he is amazed that ours don't. I tell him it was because the chaps were neglectful and there is no need for them to smell. I would love a natural set up I'm just unsure about adding animals into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
    I would love a natural set up I'm just unsure about adding animals into the mix.
    The only problem i can think of with animals in naturalistic vivs is that they seem to enjoy destroying the plants Lol
    But as Garters are small snakes there's less of a problem so theres a wide variety of plants that'd work well.

Have a look through these Planted Vivariums - Reptile Forums

Hope it helps
    Will

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Oh also, here's another. I know you aren't looking to repurpose old, broken tanks, but the actual work we did to this tank was pretty awesome, and the cage is still in use! It currently houses my largest carpet python. There is a heat panel underneath the left side (the cage now sits in my hard floor snakeroom). I now am reading the comments of this old blog and have no idea why the one guy thought there was no ventilation. The entire front of the cage is open. lol!

I will eventually end up giving this thing away. But for now, it's serving it's purpose.

iHerp : Member Blog : Built a SWEET new cage!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!