Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Acquiring new garters

Yes, reptile couriers or animal couriers are very different from your average postie service. Most reputable animal couriers now have heated vans and offer water to their charges on long journeys. It works out cheapest to join them on 'set-runs' (regular monthly tours of the country) rather than an individual trip, to cut down on costs.
    Now, I haven't used any personally yet. I've been lucky to arrange transport through snakey friends or have managed to convince new owners that the coffee and chat was worth the journey (never mind the snakes :P). But I have heard good things about a few select companies. Reputation of a service is pretty easy to check on forums like RFUK.
    I went on a show trip with this company before and know the guys running it have a lot of experience - Animal Transport Services - HOME
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Banned

Re: Acquiring new garters

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    And here ends today's lesson in the "Educating Americans in Real English" series.
    Smart alec

The Post Office (I.e. Royal Mail) won't accept live reptiles, and neither will any of the main postal couriers operating in the UK.
    Ahh.. but you admit, they are still couriers. They deliver packages. Doesn't matter what's in them. They're still couriers.

what you call the mail man would be a "post man" or "postie". A "courier" is someone who carries parcels from A to B
    Right. That's what I said. Whether it be Fedex, UPS, packages/parcels, or regular mail, if they deliver packages/parcels they are still couriers. All of them. What I was saying is that the job title here for the guy that delivers your bills and letters, and even packages, isn't "postman" "mailman" or "postie". We do indeed call them mailman or postman but the actual job title is still "courier". At least it is here.

I get what you're saying though. When you say "courier" you mean someone who delivers parcels, urgent mail, and packages, not the regular mail/post. there's hardly any distinction really since our "mail man" or "post man" often delivers parcels and packages too, not just letters and regular mail.