Post-brumation Feeding

So my snakes are coming out of brumation today! I am wondering, how long should I wait before I feed them? They will go into their cages today, so how many days from now should I start feeding them on an accelerated feeding schedule? Also, how often should I feed them on this accelerated schedule? I was thinking about doing the normal amount of food but twice as often. Does this sound good? Any and all advice is appreciated!
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Post-brumation Feeding

Why the accelerated feeding? I was under the impression that brumated snakes just ate normally, and if they've come out of brumation they will be looking for food as soon as they are up to temperature.
    I could be wrong, brumation isn't something I have first-hand experience of.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

I would let them get warmed up for a few days and the first meal would be a small meal to get things started. The second time i would feed a little more than the first meal and then after that you can feed them more heavily. Imagine going a few days without food and then eating a whole large pizza by yourself. I think it's best to start small so it's easier on the stomach even though in the wild they would probably eat everything they came in to contact with.
    Bluesirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    I would let them get warmed up for a few days and the first meal would be a small meal to get things started. The second time i would feed a little more than the first meal and then after that you can feed them more heavily. Imagine going a few days without food and then eating a whole large pizza by yourself. I think it's best to start small so it's easier on the stomach even though in the wild they would probably eat everything they came in to contact with.
    This is EXACTLY what I planned to do, but you had better words than I did. Thank you! I would feed a worm or two, 3 days after they came out, just to get things started and then I would feed a pinkie a week after brumation, after a week and a half after brumation, I would start the heavier feeding schedule.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan