Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Photo Contests

Re: Photo Contests

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    I'd like to second Stefan's comment. Participation is the issue. I know I won't win, but I enjoy seeing other's photos; so I offer mine as well. Let's see those garters, folks . We should also start thinking about how to refine the rules (if necessary) for next month's contest.
    I'm quoting you in this thread so that we don't contaminate the actual contest thread.

I agree, refinements to the rules may be necessary, although I think it's gone pretty well so far.

One suggestion: How about the contest being open for the first three weeks of the month, and the poll opening for the last week? We can't pick a theme for the next month if we don't have a winner at the end of this one.

And I just want to add that when you vote (wait for the poll ), vote for the one you like best. The skills of the photographer and the quality of the camera should be of lesser importance. There must be a lot of interesting and unique shots out there on your hard drives, so don't be afraid to show them.

Maybe we should bump the amount of pics up to two just in case we can't decide on a pic. And I was wondering what the exact date would be for voting. Maybe January 1st? And maybe a caption contest tool. Like have Boots send in a pic (or choose one of ours from the photo gallery) and we send in captions. And I was also wondering if Boots could post a picture on the contest. I don't think there are any, anywhere on the site.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

I, for one, like Stefan's idea of voting during the last week of December. Maybe we should vote between about the 24th through the 29th (6 days). This leaves the 30th & 31st to announce the winner (or for the winner to see that he/she has won) and to pick the following month's category (if there will be one).

Abcat,
    I don't see anything wrong with submitting two photos per person, per month, and I think a caption contest would be fun. We could even have it at the same time as a monthly photo contest (2 contests at once). What do the rest of you think?
    Rick

P.S. When we start the January 2007 Photo Contest, we should add the new rules to the first thread, and I think we should also post a link to the posting pictures directions, for those that are new.

I don't mind letting people submit two pictures per month either and the caption contest sounds fun too. But the problem with voting on a particular day is that many will miss the opportunity. A week ought to be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    And I just want to add that when you vote (wait for the poll ), vote for the one you like best. The skills of the photographer and the quality of the camera should be of lesser importance. There must be a lot of interesting and unique shots out there on your hard drives, so don't be afraid to show them.
    I want to add to this: It's not the animal you're voting for, but the picture you like the most. Because quite alot of folks on other fora just post for the subspecies they like, without even looking to the other pictures. I agree with the 'quality of the camera being less important', but of course the picture should be clea r

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

I agree with Snaky.
    You can have a hightech, expensive camera and a rare snake of which you make a picture without having a good picture.
    And the other way around is also possible. A lousy camera and an ordinary snake can give a great picture.

Pictures are made with your "brains and eyes".

And a week to vote seems long enough to me.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Some people will probably be gone for more than a week though (most likely only around the holidays only). But they may still have internet access. It's not that big of a deal, only if there was a prize.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

I don't know if it's possible, but I think it would be interesting NOT to see the results until all votes have been cast. Is that possible, Jason, and can you add a poll to a thread that has already started? Otherwise, we'll have to start a new thread in order to vote. That would stink.

Anyone have a preference as to whether or not we should see the results while others are still voting?

Should be able to add a poll no problem, but I am not so sure about being able to add one that you can not see the results once you have voted. I will see if it is possble, and get back to you.

Jason

Hi all,
    I wanted to make a last call for submissions to the December 2006 Photo Contest and ask if Jason would mind adding the poll to the thread tomorrow evening (26 December)?

No need to make the voting results private since it seems to be a hassle. Let's vote through the evening of 30 January to give the winner time to come up with another category (if desired). It was a lot of fun to see such nice pictures. Best of luck to all,
    Rick