red sided feed quirk

My Red Sided Garter snake has a feeding quirk. The only way it will eat fuzzies, is if I hold the snake in one hand and offer the food from the other hand. Then it holds the fuzzie in it's mouth until I put the snake back in it's enclosure and then it will eat the fuzzie. Has any one else had any weird feeding experiences like this?
    Conservation Through Education
    www.jerrythesnakeman.com

Re: red sided feed quirk

I have some that do the same thing with worms. Grab and hold but wait to be put down before they eat.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Adult snake

My milk snakes don't like to eat while I'm watching, but I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary. Might be because I don't feed by hand.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

I think most of my snakes have some sort of feeding quirk. I have snakes that will only eat in their tanks with towels over the tank, some that absolutely refuse to eat in their tank, one that will only eat if his food is under a hide, one that likes her food dropped into her water dish, a couple that lie in the food dish to eat. Garters are a trip!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I have one with the opposite problem; if anyone in the room is getting food, he will try to bite anything he sees. Even stuff that doesn't remotely resemble food like his fake plants, and it's not like food got dropped on them or anything.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Suzi will eat from my hand but she always seems to miss the target and gnaws on my finger a bit at first... she has not drawn blood or held onto me... her accuracy can only improve I would hope lol... with nightcrawlers she likes to hide and eat... with pinkies... she just gobbles them down...!
    Jonathan
    0.1 Parietalis - Suzi
    0.1 T.Radix - Xena
    My Public Photobucket