Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seizures

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

Re: Seizures

Tilapia is a thiaminase free fish correct? Do you think other contaminants in the fish were involved? I remember someone else having issues with tilapia but cant remember the exact situation.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Banned

No thiaminase, and one of the cleanest fish you can find as far as contaminants go. It's all farmed, and the fish is fed a vegetarian diet. That cuts way down on heavy metals. It's also rather low in fat. But tilapia fillet isn't really complete nutrition. should only be used as part of a diet that includes whole fish and/or rodents.

Kat, so sorry to read about Mocha, she was a cutie.
    Mona (T.S. sirtalis) Melanistic
    Fiona (T.S similis) Normal

Quote Originally Posted by thamneil View Post
    Tilapia is a thiaminase free fish correct? Do you think other contaminants in the fish were involved? I remember someone else having issues with tilapia but cant remember the exact situation.
    Yes, it's Thiaminase free, but MOST prepackaged Tilapia from a supermarket/grocer freezer section is treated with Sodium Tripolyphosphate "to retain moisture and appearance"

When I was feeding this to my snakes, I had similar losses, the snakes would convulse and often bite themselves in the side while dying.

As soon as I switched to organic (Chemical free) rainbow trout, This stopped completely.

Remember, live prey is preservative free, so wild animals (by logic) are not going to have any resistance to the chemical's effects.

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by katach View Post
    Unfortunately Mocha did not make it through the night.
    Sorry to hear that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Yes, it's Thiaminase free, but MOST prepackaged Tilapia from a supermarket/grocer freezer section is treated with Sodium Tripolyphosphate "to retain moisture and appearance"
    I've been saying it wrong. I've been calling it "trisodium phosphate" Not sure if that's correct. I just remember seeing something like that added "to retain moisture and appearance" also. All the tilapia at walmart has it. I get mine from a store chain owned by Kroger. (Known as "Fred Meyer's" in the northwest). Their vacuum sealed frozen, and fresh tilapia is just that. Nothing added. I've not had any problems.