Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Re: Dont listen to what anybody says on this forum

The only warning I have seen against tilapia was about an additive sometimes added to packaged fish ad a preservative. This additive *might* have negative impact on garters. (If educated guess, not proven by testing.)

Some people don't have trust farm raised fish. They argue the diet fed is poor/ unhealthy and may conntain antibiotics and other substances absorbed from a crowded, unhealthy 'feedand lot' style life.
    Others wont eat wild caught due to possible parasites and pollution contamination.
    In *my* opinion, every food has its risks and benefits- you have to look at what is available in your region, at what cost, and find the best balance for yourself.

the red sided giant reptileparadise's Avatar

I don't listen to what anyone says, except for our own 15+ years of experience.... WITHOUT seizures, on store bought fish, with max 5% rodents in the diet.

There... I said it, we trust nobody... That said, we trust everyone, we just THINK on what people are saying and judge from there on. Quite often, people make sence and we learn... Sometimes people talk rubbish and we try to learn them something.

A part of life with a living hobby. Nobody is correct as every snake is different....
    www.facebook.com/crazyreptiles
    welcome ( at ) crazyreptiles . eu

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

Re: Seizures

Can we all meet at the hill before sunrise!
    Handbags at Dawn!

(.............runs and hides..)
    Inge
    our house is like a zoo, too many to list here!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

I used to use tilapia a lot with my baby garters until they were big enough to take pinkies. I stopped using tilapia as of last year and had way better results this year.
    In general tilapia is a safe fish to use, but like others already stated it's how it's processed. Most of the supermarket storebought fish has added chemicals that can in high doses harm snakes. When used as a treat or to vary a diet people have few problems with it, but if used as a staple diet you will have some effects longterm.
    Bluesirtalis

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Can I just say that I agree with Tom's point. And i know tom personally.... hes a good guy! he just isnt an internet junkie and so he doesnt have those "people skills". But neither does Stefan sometimes and heck.... he doesnt need them. I DO NOT agree that there are only two people That give good advice but i do agree that i have read a lot of rubbish in here that diasappoints me... but i just keep my mouth shut as with a teething 10 month old i am lucky i have time to read anything. I stopped using and will no longer advocate raw fish filet and have been that way for a whole now. I'm a firm believer in the whole prey diet only, and a varied diet at that. I have seen MANY terrible suggestions and things that I find to be off on this forum but good advice also. But yes the rate of snake deaths is rather alarming. I just got power back yesterday but even during the outage I lurked from my phone. I need to stop lurking and find time to post more again... My viewpoints have changed a considerable degree since I first started keeping garter snakes.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Can I just say that I agree with Tom's point. And i know tom personally.... hes a good guy! he just isnt an internet junkie and so he doesnt have those "people skills". But neither does Stefan sometimes and heck.... he doesnt need them. I DO NOT agree that there are only two people That give good advice but i do agree that i have read a lot of rubbish in here that diasappoints me... but i just keep my mouth shut as with a teething 10 month old i am lucky i have time to read anything. I stopped using and will no longer advocate raw fish filet and have been that way for a whole now. I'm a firm believer in the whole prey diet only, and a varied diet at that. I have seen MANY terrible suggestions and things that I find to be off on this forum but good advice also. But yes the rate of snake deaths is rather alarming. I just got power back yesterday but even during the outage I lurked from my phone. I need to stop lurking and find time to post more again... My viewpoints have changed a considerable degree since I first started keeping garter snakes.
    I have to agree with you Shannon... I have been keeping quiet too much, and sugar coating replies.

Maybe that needs to change.

I see some bad advice from time to time on this/any forum, but i also see some good advice being said. Anytime a person chooses to trust someone else's advice that it is up to them. That is the pros and cons of an open public forum. I too have done business with tom and he seemed to be a stand up guy. Maybe it's like shannon said he don't have very good people skills or maybe he was having a bad day. I don't have any problems with any of you guy's on the forum as i feel like this is one big forum family.
    Bluesirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    this is one big forum family.
    Maybe we should start caring about the animals a little more, and peoples feelings a little less.

Sitting around holding hands and coddling while animals die is not what we are supposed to be about.

I just want to say that what Jesse said was very well put and pretty much sums up what I am thinking about all of this. But I do think you can discuss grievances without outright insulting people. I also think that if we have a particular problem with someone or the forum in general...we should send a message to that person and discuss it with them in private or send a message to a moderator instead of posting those grievances on a thread that starts a bunch of drama. If we want to discuss problems with feeding fish without getting nasty concerning the forum and it's members, that is completely different. Like Jesse said, everything I learned about caring for garters I learned from the members of this forum. My first garter is alive and healthy to this day because of this forum. I am grateful for this forum and all of it's members. This forum has become my family and I am proud to have all of you in my life.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I agree 100 percent! I love and care about the well being of all animals and i spend hours a day taking care of my snakes and trying to help others. I was just stating that i don't hold a grudge against anyone for their comments including tom. If i don't agree with their husbandry needs i will simply try to help them just ask anyone who knows me. I don't think anyone here buys or invest time in these animals that don't care about them. They just might not have the best info on how to care for them so that's where we come in. We share our experiences and hope that it will help. In the end we can't make each person choose the way they care for their animal, but try to encourage them and give them the best advice we know.
    Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    maybe we should start caring about the animals a little more, and peoples feelings a little less.

Sitting around holding hands and coddling while animals die is not what we are supposed to be about.
    Bluesirtalis