Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Re: Cleaning Wood Decor

The neat freaks might not like this but I normally just bang off the wood and give it a quick rinse to get any dirt/bugs off and that's about it (for wood found outside). Most of the wood in my enclosures I've done this way for almost 25 years now without any issues. Never have had a single snake mite yet *touch wood*. You can bleach & bake etc if you want but it's overkill imo, and I've tried those methods too in the past and it didn't make any difference in my case other than create a lot of unnecessary work. Your mileage may vary, also consider I live in Canada.

A steamer is a good investment for someone wanting to quickly sterilize without worry of chemicals or having their oven smell nasty for months.
    Last edited by Spankenstyne; 10-28-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: to clarify the source
    Chris

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Re: Cleaning Wood Decor

but to answer the original question... For cleaning any cage decor I use good 'ol dish soap & warm water. If it's going into a different reptile enclosure then I might use a little bleach or the steamer just to sterilize.
    Chris