Thread: Mites !

"Preparing For Third shed"

Exclamation Mites !

How do I know If I really have mites ? I have never seen these in her enclosure ever so I have no idea. I let my red sided go through some moist paper towels and no black dots but I saw little black tiny bugs around her water bowl. I use aspen shavings never had a problem with it before. But help I need to know fast !
    John !
    " A snake is only as calm as its handler "

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Re: Mites !

I have never seen them in person, but from what I gather they are small black dots moving around. Pick up your snake and give him a thorough inspection, check him EVERYWHERE. If you could post a close-up picture of the bugs you saw that would be helpful.

Check out this thread.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...019-mites.html

And another thread.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/urge...fo-needed.html
    Last edited by Invisible Snake; 09-05-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added link

Well they dont look like black dots , they are bigger and not fully black some were but mostly dark grey. I checked her everywhere already and nothing. No movement what so ever and she seems fine so maybe its a different type of bug but what they are is my question and ill try my best to get a close enough good quality picture.
    John !

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

As said, mites are tiny black round dots. If you smear them on a paper towel they will smear kind of a reddish black.
    It sounds like you are describing wood bugs but you must be sure they are not mites.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Is it possible to get a picture of the bugs and post it? I know that with my snakes, two of them currently have mites. I did not see the mites on the snakes. I saw them crawling around on the hides before I saw them on the snakes. Then after several inspections...I finally saw one on my hand after handling one of the snakes last night. The mites are very, very tiny...smaller than the head of a pin...and they move...they are dark...black/grayish. If the bugs you have are bigger than the head of a pin...they probably aren't mites...but a pic could help us.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Well the bugs are too small but they arent round so possibly wood bugs im guessing, Jade didnt show any different behavior just I saw them and kinda freaked. Ill try and get a picture just to be sure but are wood bugs harmful ?
    John !

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

I get the same thing on occasion. They're usually just some type of moisture loving gnat or other small insect. They seek refuge where they can find damp substrate, typically around the water bowl or potted plants. Nothing to worry about. They are simply an annoyance!
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Wood bugs generally aren't harmful. Gnats usually start to appear if the enclosure doesn't have enough ventilation and are attracted to the amonia from urates.

It is very important that you identify the bugs you have seen in your snake's enclosure.