Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: First successful litter of babies

Keep offering, northwesterns, and babies in general can be a little hard to get eating. I would offer them food at least every 2 days, for the ones that haven't eaten yet. Mine took 15 days to eat. They were scared of worm bits at first... They'd rear their heads up like little cobras and then hide under the logs with their tails over their heads! It was adorable, yet frustrating!
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

Congrats on them eating salmon! Wasnt quite expecting that it would happen that way. We still need pictures!
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Not sure if it's been suggested or not but Northwesterns (T.ordinoides) love slugs. Larger slugs can be cut-up and the pieces given to the babies.
    My Northwesterns love the treat of slugs when they are available. This year it's been too hot and dry.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

The slugs should also be spotted if possible. I think I've said that... I don't remember... Brown slugs secrete slime that can easily choke the snakes. If they're still tiny and pale it's not nearly as bad... I always keep a few q tips and a small syringe handy. I only had to use the q tips once, on Ember... I like keeping the syringe handy just in case. Water helps unstick slug glue sometimes. Just have to be careful since the snakes are a bit delicate.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Juvenile snake

Where I live slugs are a pest. They are everywhere at all times, but they are huge. Most slugs are over 4 inches and when touched just become a ball of slime. I tried to cut a slug yesterday, it was impossible. My adult ordinoides, elegans vagrans, and sirtalis pickeringii go beserk for slugs, but they can never swallow them. Unless I find the babies in the spring and fall. Today will be a mixture of frozen herring and worm bits. Im going to mix it all up in a bowl with some calcium and multivitamin powder (I use the for its vitamin d content) and pratically mush it into bits of eachother.
    Kephren J.
    2.4 T. ordinoides and counting. 2.0 T. s. pickeringii. 1.0.1 T. e. vagrans

Limbs? hmpph, who needs those!?

Do you know which herring you are feeding? Just wondering as herring is on both the safe and unsafe fish list.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee