Question How many garters in a 36" cage

When my marcianus gets bigger i'll buy him a cage that measures 36"Lx18"Wx21"H.I would like to expand my collection so my question is.How many garters would could be comfortable housed in a cage of that size?There is a possibility that Garry is a female [probable wasn't wise to call an unsexed snake Garry]
    Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Re: How many garters in a 36" cage

I'd say how many depends on the size of garters n how much 'floor space' can you create? If you build a platform n have lots to climb on the a few more would be comfortable in there.
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

In a tank that is 36 inches long, I would say that you could house 3 smaller garters or two large females comfortably. I have 20 gallon long tanks for most of my garters...and a 30 inch high tank for my two large females. I have at least 2 snakes in each of the 20L tanks. Everyone seems comfy. If I were to put another large female in with my other females, I would probably switch to a 40L tank though. My big girls are both about 3 feet long. Bigger is always better...the more space they have, the more room to roam around. Like Dae said, it depends on the size of the snake and the amount of floor space. They should have plenty of space to stretch out completely.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I've been thinking about this lately too. I'm having a move around the house to create more viv space. I would like at least 1 more 48x24x24 so I can keep 4 or 5 together. Maybe I'll even give them a gang name.
    Sam 2.1 T.s.sirtalis 0.2 T.marcianus 0.0.1 L.g.floridana 1.0 L.g.californiae 1.0 Eryx colubrinus 0.0.1 P.g.guttatus 0.1 Python regius

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I have 4 young males in a 20 gal no problem. Eventually it will be 2 20gal's with 3 males in each. Far as I'm concerned you could fit 3-5 in there as long as you're on top of feeding (more snakes means more fights) and clean it more often. They don't need a whole lot of elbow room, mine are usually all in thē same spot. Only problems I have is frequent cleaning and having to keep everyone away from each other during feeding